This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Resize option for dual Boot Missing?

I went to install Kubuntu on my sister's laptop. When it got to the partition selection choice I did not see the resize option. It only showed use entire HD.

Am I missing something or is the resize option gone?

Try using a tool like GParted Live to alter your partitions before installing Kubuntu. The Ubiquity installer (inherited from Ubuntu) can't handle all potential partitioning combinations.

Comment

So the installer does have the ability to resize but if it feels that it is too complex it does not show the option? Because this is no more complex than any other setup I have seen. Standard windoze install on a laptop with one main partition and a boot partition.

Comment

I cannot divine Ubiquity's logic. Perhaps because it has none? The problem you're describing isn't new and has been discussed here before.

Comment

When I last installed my 12.04, it has been some time ago...memory serves me, the manual install allowed to make partitions of any size or use existing ones. Another thing I recall, I was able to replace files without formatting. I believe the installer was a lot better than anything Windows offers.

Comment

Originally posted by SteveRiley View Post
            Try using a tool like GParted Live to alter your partitions before installing Kubuntu. The Ubiquity installer (inherited from Ubuntu) can't handle all potential partitioning combinations.
            I've installed Ubuntu 14.04 on three computers now and the installer always recognizes an adjacent windows install and offers the option to install alongside it and will resize partitions automatically without fail. Should this not be the case with Kubuntu given its the same installer? I encountered the same issue when installing Kubuntu 14.04 on my laptop and had to give myself a crash course in choosing "something else".

Comment

Originally posted by cmillar6 View Post
              Should this not be the case with Kubuntu given its the same installer? I encountered the same issue when installing Kubuntu 14.04 on my laptop and had to give myself a crash course in choosing "something else".
              Download the Ubuntu 14.04 ISO and try its installer. If you get the same results as with Kubuntu, then you've encountered a case where Ubiquity couldn't figure out what to do. If the installer behaves as you'd expect, then you've found a bug in the Kubuntu conversion of Ubiquity and it would be great if you reported it.

Comment

Download the Ubuntu 14.04 ISO and try its installer. If you get the same results as with Kubuntu, then you've encountered a case where Ubiquity couldn't figure out what to do. If the installer behaves as you'd expect, then you've found a bug in the Kubuntu conversion of Ubiquity and it would be great if you reported it.
                Already done, I replaced Ubuntu 14.04 on this very laptop with Kubuntu. The Ubuntu installer recognized my existing windows partition and resized accordingly. Kubuntu 14.04 did not.

Comment

That is weird. Would you please file a bug against ubiquity-frontend-kde? There must be some unusual changes happening to the code.

Comment

That is weird. Would you please file a bug against ubiquity-frontend-kde? There must be some unusual changes happening to the code.
                    Happy to help, how exactly do I file a bug? Once this is resolved I would like to replace all Ubuntu 14.04 installs with Kubuntu, I like it much better.

Comment

Open a console window and run ubuntu-bug ubiquity-frontend-kde. The computer will collect some statistics and then open a browser window where you can explain the problem. Your bug report will be sent to Launchpad, Canonical's software management system.

Comment

Working...
                      X