This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

kubuntu copying URLs to local files

Recently I started using the nightly build of Firefox. Initially the executable file was located in ~/firefox/firefox, so I updated all the references to firefox in my system prefs - file associations, default apps - to that path so I could use it as my default browser, and also made a 'firefox nightly' launcher. It all worked perfectly.

Subsequently I downloaded quite a lot of other apps and my home folder was getting a bit cluttered, so I decided to make a dedicated 'applications' sub-folder and move all the apps in there. I made sure to update all the paths throughout my system, so now the path to Firefox Nightly is ~/Applications/firefox/firefox. Since doing that a really bizarre thing has been happening.

The launcher still works, but if I click on any URL in an external application - a link in LibreOffice or Pidgin for example - the following notification pops up:

"Copying [finished]
    /var/tmp/kdecache-dbaker/krun/<some random numbers>"

The system seems to make a LOCAL COPY of the file and opens that in the browser, rather than directing me to the actual web page. This is extremely frustrating as any links on the page are then broken (not to mention some remotely loaded stylesheets and stuff not working). In Pidgin I've resorted to manually copying and pasted URLs received in messages.

I've tried restarting to no avail
    "Stella", HP Pavilion 15-ak006TX: KDE Neon User Edition dual-booted with Windows 10, 8gb RAM, Intel i7-6700HQ CPU, NVIDIA GeForce GTX950M graphics, 2 TB hard drive

IF you have Firefox set as your default browser, then go to System Settings > Default Applications > Web Browser and check the in an application based on the contents of the URL option. IF in the following browser: is checked, you get the described behavior.
    Using Kubuntu Linux since March 23, 2007
    "It is a capital mistake to theorize before one has data." - Sherlock Holmes

Comment

I tried that and now every web page is still copied to /var/tmp, but opens in vim instead (presumably cause I have that set as default to open local HTML files for web development reasons, but that's a whole different story, since that setting has never worked before!)

UPDATE: as expected, if I change my file associations so that Nightly instead of Vim is the first choice for html files, with the setting you suggested it still copies to /var/tmp and opens the local file in Nightly.

btw, is this a bug? it never used to happen.
      Last edited by dbaker; May 10, 2014, 06:34 PM.
      "Stella", HP Pavilion 15-ak006TX: KDE Neon User Edition dual-booted with Windows 10, 8gb RAM, Intel i7-6700HQ CPU, NVIDIA GeForce GTX950M graphics, 2 TB hard drive

Comment

Working...
      X