Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Graphical applications don't launch, and kickoff very laggy after installing packages

Collapse
This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Graphical applications don't launch, and kickoff very laggy after installing packages

I'm apparently having severe problems with (possibly?) KDE.
    Kickoff launcher is very laggy, it opens after a clicking it, but it takes around one minute to open.
    This itself would be workable, but the worse thing is that it is unable to launch any application.

It is very fortunate that for some reason kde always loads same applications (firefox, kile, terminal...) that I had open when I shut down the computer before the problems started.
    These applications that open work very well unless they have to launch windowed applications.
    Terminal cannot launch for example dolphin either, it just does not do anything, and I have to abort launching with Ctrl-C, which terminates loading immediately.
    Non-windowed applications seem to be working fine (for example gnuplot and python).

This is the second time this happens. (I resorted to reinsalling 14.04 that time)
    This time these problems started after building OpenFOAM and rebooting, which leads me to suspect that
    some packages that I had to install there are causing this.

The packages installed were
    build-essential flex bison cmake zlib1g-dev qt4-dev-tools libqt4-dev gnuplot libreadline-dev libncurses-dev libxt-dev libscotch-dev libopenmpi-dev libcgal-dev
    (some were already installed, and dependencies were installed too, naturally)

I don't think building OpenFOAM itself could have such results, as I it did not have root-privileges.

I hope someone could help me with this, as the system as it is is quite hard to use right now.

I've got the same problem. It happened right after an update an hour or so ago. Firefox and Thunderbird were open at the time, so they work. (Fortunately, or I could not have registered for this forum or asked this question!) No other program will launch, not even konsole, so it makes debugging difficult. What's the magic to just reinstall and configure current packages?

Originally posted by puukiuuki View Post
    I'm apparently having severe problems with (possibly?) KDE.
    Kickoff launcher is very laggy, it opens after a clicking it, but it takes around one minute to open.
    This itself would be workable, but the worse thing is that it is unable to launch any application.

It is very fortunate that for some reason kde always loads same applications (firefox, kile, terminal...) that I had open when I shut down the computer before the problems started.
    These applications that open work very well unless they have to launch windowed applications.
    Terminal cannot launch for example dolphin either, it just does not do anything, and I have to abort launching with Ctrl-C, which terminates loading immediately.
    Non-windowed applications seem to be working fine (for example gnuplot and python).

This is the second time this happens. (I resorted to reinsalling 14.04 that time)
    This time these problems started after building OpenFOAM and rebooting, which leads me to suspect that
    some packages that I had to install there are causing this.

The packages installed were
    build-essential flex bison cmake zlib1g-dev qt4-dev-tools libqt4-dev gnuplot libreadline-dev libncurses-dev libxt-dev libscotch-dev libopenmpi-dev libcgal-dev
    (some were already installed, and dependencies were installed too, naturally)

I don't think building OpenFOAM itself could have such results, as I it did not have root-privileges.

I hope someone could help me with this, as the system as it is is quite hard to use right now.

Comment

SOLVED, sort of

Well, it wasn't pretty, but I got my programs back. Opened up a new CLI with Crtl-Alt-F2, renamed ~/.kde to ~/.kdebak, and pulled the plug! Now to make it look like Home again.

Originally posted by jmddd View Post
      I've got the same problem. It happened right after an update an hour or so ago. Firefox and Thunderbird were open at the time, so they work. (Fortunately, or I could not have registered for this forum or asked this question!) No other program will launch, not even konsole, so it makes debugging difficult. What's the magic to just reinstall and configure current packages?

Comment

Originally posted by jmddd View Post
        Well, it wasn't pretty, but I got my programs back. Opened up a new CLI with Crtl-Alt-F2, renamed ~/.kde to ~/.kdebak, and pulled the plug! Now to make it look like Home again.
        THANK YOU!
        It was not exactly clean as you pointed out, BUT it WORKED beautifully!
        No important data missing or anything...

I wonder if I should mark this thread SOLVED?

Comment

A little more follow-up. I went to the .kdebak backup and deleted a suspect Autostart file I was experimenting with that may have been the problem, went into Midnight Commander, deleted .kde, copied .kdebak over to .kde, and then went to the command line and gave it "qdbus org.kde.kwin /KWin reconfigure". Most of my configuration came back immediately, but it took a reboot or two for the task panel to come back. All is well now.

Originally posted by puukiuuki View Post
          THANK YOU!
          It was not exactly clean as you pointed out, BUT it WORKED beautifully!
          No important data missing or anything...

I wonder if I should mark this thread SOLVED?

Comment

Working...
          X