X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Upgrade to 14.0 using KDE 4.12.97

Greetings,sudo update-pepperflashplugin-nonfree --install

I realized that my upgrade to 14.04 got me to KDE version 4.12.97 and not KDE 4.13.0 as mentioned in the distrowatch reviews. Why is that? Also will an upgrade get me the latest programs or keep on using the versions that were on my computer before the update?

Thanks,

Michel
    Last edited by michel; May 04, 2014, 01:43 PM.

Looks like you have not (yet) done a full upgrade

So double check, normally I would recommend using Muon package manager but this time preferably via the Konsole as it gives better feedback:
    Code:
    sudo apt-get update
    Code:
    sudo apt-get dist-upgrade
    Regular upgrades like this will include all upgradable components from the repositories, only stuff you installed from outside the repo's will remain the same.

Comment

Thanks for the feedback. It did nothing. I downloaded the 64 bit iso and did a re-install with the same results + the installation was sort of botched with no Synaptic no Muon software center, etc.., etc.. Can someone confirm that the 64 bit version has issues with it? Or is it because I wrote the iso to a usb disk? Any clues?

Thanks,

Michel

Comment

where are you seeing 4.12.97? Kinfocenter does show it (not sure what package it gets that info from) but if you look at the actual packages, you should see 4.13 - after updating.

4.12.97 was the rc of 4.13, due to release timing between Ubuntu and KDE, this was the version on release day. 4.13 final came very shortly afterward

To make even more confusing, as not all the applications of KDE SC saw updated versions, you will see some 4.11 things in there as well. All is OK though. Confusing, but OK

Click image for larger version

Name:	snapshot-1.png
Views:	1
Size:	110.3 KB
ID:	640767

Click image for larger version

Name:	snapshot-1-1.png
Views:	1
Size:	83.3 KB
ID:	640768

Comment

Thanks claydo that's what I though having looked at the KDE packages in synaptic and seing that they were 3.13! but I botched my install and nearly wiped out by files AND my backup! What a mess!

The installs from the USB are incomplete, ie a lot of the utilities and systems tools are not installed as in synaptic, muon software center, driver center, etc... I downloaded the iso through a torrent and did the checksum test it is ok but the start-up disk utility does not seem to work properly as the usb install is not going through! Alo I get an internet connection at first using the broadcom proprietary driver but then it stops working and I have to deactivate the driver and restart to get back my connection.

To start with am I better off going with the 32 bit release with a system that has 8G of ram or should I stick to 64? Should I wait until the whole thing is debugged?

Thanks,

Michel

Comment

Sent from my Droid DNA using Tapatalk, like that really matters

Comment

Muon software centre is replaced by Discover

Is the driver manger missing, or just empty?.

What else do you find missing? Are these present in a live session?

If you are coming from 12.04 there are likely a few things that may be different, even some drivers that no longer have proprietary drivers available or needed. (Though I'm guessing your hardware is new enough not to be seeing that)

Sent from my Droid DNA using Tapatalk, like that really matters

Comment

claydoh:
                where are you seeing 4.12.97? Kinfocenter does show it (not sure what package it gets that info from)...
                The 'KDE SC Version' version in the KInfocenter is telling the build moment KDE library version. It is not telling what you are now using.

Earlier: https://www.kubuntuforums.net/showth...l=1#post342024

KDE bug: https://bugs.kde.org/show_bug.cgi?id=329158
                A good place to start: Topic: Top 20 Kubuntu FAQs & Answers
                Searching FAQ's: Google Search 'FAQ from Kubuntuforums'

Comment

I should have waited a bit longer! But it's done. I confirm the installation using the 64 iso is incomplete as is no synaptic, no muon software centre and other muon stuff and no third party driver utility (I just remembered ... need to reinstall that one!)

But the system is up and running now. So far so good.

Thanks to all.

Michel

Comment

Still confused as to what is truly missing

Synaptic is not part of the default install
                    Neither is Muon Software Center or Muon Package Manager - Muon Discover is the default now.
                    The driver manager is new and has moved to System Settings - it does not have a menu entry any longer because of that, but does show if you use the search box in Kicker or Krunner

Comment

Ok so I think I was comparing with the upgrade. must have had all of these from 12.04. My bad.

Michel

Comment

No, not bad. I was just hoping to clear out the possibility of a bad install, to hopefully save the time and effort of a new install

Comment

Working...
                        X