Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Muon Discover working well in the new version?

Collapse
This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Muon Discover working well in the new version?

So far I've held back from upgrading. I'm still in 13.10, Saucy Salamander. I've held out because I remember it took a long time in 13.10 before Muon Discover was finally stable. I relied more on Synaptic Package Manager because Muon crashed so much.

Now my fear is if I upgrade to 14.04, I'll go through the same thing. If it's unstable in the new version, I'd rather stay with 13.10 until more stability is achieved. If it's already working great and most everything is stable, then maybe I'll go ahead and allow the upgrade. For now I've set Kubuntu to long-term support status.
    Kubuntu 22.04 (desktop & laptop), Windows 7 &2K (via VirtualBox on desktop PC)
    ================================

Upgrading success and whether Discover is working well are really two different things
    Your system will run the same with or without Muon, or Synaptic, or whatever package manager.

The upgrade will not remove synaptic.

Discover is not like synaptic anyway, as it is much more like Ubuntu's Software Center in that it does not list the whole kit and kaboodle of the repos such as libraries, dev packages and the like (but will install them if something needs them)

Muon Package Manager is the one that is like Synaptic, though as of 14.04 Discover is the default tool. I find it much improved. I like to use it to browse, to um... err.... discover new things. Screenshots, ratings, popular items all help me with that when I get the urge for something new or different.

Comment

Indeed, I'm no fan of Discover but it is pretty and informative.
      Muon proper is just a quick apt-get away.

14.04 is nice, Discover is not even on the list of my worries

Comment

Working...
      X