This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Kscrubber - current status?

Kscrubber is mentioned in this 2010 post, and given high praise of several forum heavyweights.

But this is 2014. It's no longer obvious (to me) that Kscrubber is current enough to bother with or even safe to use anymore.

Is anyone using this, and if so do they have any thoughts about using it with KB10.04 and KDE1.13?

Know of anything better? (I'm already aware of BleachBit, and it appears to complement more than overlap Kscrubber, to the extent that I understand both.)

I use ubuntu tweak's computer janitor. Works well and never given me a problem. can be downloaded here :
    http://ubuntu-tweak.com/
    Dave Kubuntu 20.04 Registered Linux User #462608

Wireless Script: http://ubuntuforums.org/showthread.p...5#post12350385

Comment

Originally posted by kc1di View Post
      I use ubuntu tweak's computer janitor. Works well and never given me a problem. can be downloaded here :
      http://ubuntu-tweak.com/
      Interesting. Haven't heard of this.

Just to be clear - you use this on Kubuntu? and on 14.04?

Comment

I still use kscrubber on both my 32-bit and 64-bit installs of Kubuntu 14.04. No issues. It works.

In 2012 I created a script (bash) I use when I shutdown, which is just a modified version of kscrubber. It doesn't replace kscrubber. Kscrubber is used when I choose. This modified script is in Startup and Shutdown > Autostart > Scriptfile > Run On Shudown

cleanup.sh
        Code:
        #!/bin/sh
        ## Modified version of kscrubber.sh from https://igurublog.wordpress.com/downloads/script-kscrubber/
        ## Further modified for my use - 2012-06-07
        rm -r ~/.adobe/*
        rm -r ~/.macromedia/*
        ## rm -r ~/.cache/chromium/*
        rm -r ~/.local/share/Trash/files/*
        rm -r ~/.local/share/Trash/info/*
        ## rm -r ~/.thumbnails/*
        ## rm -r ~/.bash_history
        rm ~/.xsession-errors
        exit
        I have the script in ~/Scripts
        Using Kubuntu Linux since March 23, 2007
        "It is a capital mistake to theorize before one has data." - Sherlock Holmes

Comment

Originally posted by Snowhog View Post
          I still use kscrubber on both my 32-bit and 64-bit installs of Kubuntu 14.04. No issues. It works....
          Um. Very interesting. It seems that kscrubber was intended it to be in part a teaching device, and I want to take the time to study it. Your brief addendum is a good start for me. I'm not at all reluctant to do command line stuff, but I do get a bit worried sometimes when I read stuff telling me to modify various config. files whose function I don't understand. As time allows (and it doesn't allow much) I AM trying to get a better understanding of bash and of linux in general, but there's a lot of ground to cover, so I'm still pretty much ignorant.

And thanks much for the update on your personal use of kscrubber. Safe to use at present and all that - question answered. Great!

Here's another concern about it, though, which I didn't mention: how confident are you that KDE4.13 is as cleaned up by kscrubber as the KDE for which it is targeted as of last update (and I haven't been able to find that date, though it may be in the script itself, which I haven't downloaded)?

Since it's no longer being developed, it'd sure be nice if someone here would take it on. Wishful thinking, I suppose.

Do you use BleachBit at all?
          Last edited by tomcloyd; Apr 24, 2014, 10:33 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by tomcloyd View Post
            Do you use BleachBit at all?
            No. I did install it once, but looking at the configuration settings is daunting. At least one member here in KFN had a disastrous outcome using BleachBit, causing him to have to reinstall the OS. BleachBit is, I think, just to powerful and gives the user the power to destroy their system if they aren't paying attention/don't know what they are doing.
            Using Kubuntu Linux since March 23, 2007
            "It is a capital mistake to theorize before one has data." - Sherlock Holmes

Comment

I've found (so far) over a few distros & a half dozen years plus BleachBit to be entirely safe.....IF

If I use only it only in user mode not root and when selecting setup preferences to not select any option that throws up confirmation box.

Comment

This little 'quiz' fits in here ;-)
                Toward writing your own cleanup routine ...

You're in Dolphin, you open a folder, you right click on a file, see the context menu, select Move To ..., and you will see a list of choices (where to move that file to), based on your recent choices. That's a useful feature. BUT, how do you clean ( = clear) that list of choices (that you see after selecting Move To)? A desirable thing to do especially as the list gets long or gets all messed up with irrelevant choices.
                An intellectual says a simple thing in a hard way. An artist says a hard thing in a simple way. Charles Bukowski

Comment

Originally posted by tomcloyd View Post
                  Interesting. Haven't heard of this.

Just to be clear - you use this on Kubuntu? and on 14.04?
                  yes i have it installed on kubuntu 14.04 works great. of course those options intended only for gnome or unity don't, but the janitor does.
                  Good luck
                  Dave Kubuntu 20.04 Registered Linux User #462608

Wireless Script: http://ubuntuforums.org/showthread.p...5#post12350385

Comment

No one knows how? (Post #8) Hmmm, that suggests maybe it's difficult to do. I suppose it comes down to locating the file that holds the dynamically generated choices for that context menu option. Of course.
                    An intellectual says a simple thing in a hard way. An artist says a hard thing in a simple way. Charles Bukowski

Comment

Originally posted by Qqmike View Post
                      No one knows how? (Post #8) Hmmm, that suggests maybe it's difficult to do. I suppose it comes down to locating the file that holds the dynamically generated choices for that context menu option. Of course.
                      Didn't check (as I have those actions disabled), but IIRC the paths are stored in $HOME/.kde/share/config/dolphinrc

Comment

Yes, that's it.

So ...

I suppose it is safe to delete or edit the paths in the section that follows the header
                        [kuick-move]
                        Paths[$e]=$HOME/etc

and

I seem to recall noticing that the paths listed upon rt-click, Move to, are sometimes already deleted. But I can't seem to figure out what causes that deletion, maybe a re-boot?

Thanks.

Comment

>> But I can't seem to figure out what causes that deletion, maybe a re-boot?

--> Nope. A re-boot does not cause those paths to be cleared out.

Comment

Working...
                          X