Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Does 14.04 properly handle UEFI, "Secure Boot" during install for a Dual Boot?

Collapse
This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Does 14.04 properly handle UEFI, "Secure Boot" during install for a Dual Boot?

Excuse me please if I don't get the phraseology quite right here.

I have a dual boot laptop right now which is 12.10 on an ACER Aspire with preloaded windows 8;
    HD= ATA ST750 LM022 HN-M7 (reports 700 GB)
    I believe this Acer Aspire is running 8 gig of ram. (edited)

Architecture: x86_64
    CPU op-mode(s): 32-bit, 64-bit
    Byte Order: Little Endian
    CPU(s): 4
    On-line CPU(s) list: 0-3
    Thread(s) per core: 2
    Core(s) per socket: 2
    Socket(s): 1
    NUMA node(s): 1
    Vendor ID: GenuineIntel
    CPU family: 6
    Model: 58
    Stepping: 9
    CPU MHz: 782.000
    BogoMIPS: 3392.49
    Virtualization: VT-x
    L1d cache: 32K
    L1i cache: 32K
    L2 cache: 256K
    L3 cache: 3072K
    NUMA node0 CPU(s): 0-3

Thing is last install for 12.10 I had a heck of a time getting the UEFI and "Secure Boot" to play with a dual boot install with that 12.10 Remix and a pre-existing Windows 8 laptop. I love the flexibility of the GPT. But after install for 12.10 I had to run Super Grub2 Rescue in order to actually get a dual boot operational. Really not that big a deal I suppose once I found out what I had to do. I just thought the install routine would handle a dual boot menu like before (systems prior to UEFI that is).

So here's the question; does the 14.04.1 install routine set up a dual boot menu on the fly or will I need to run a Super Grub2 bootable ISO and build that startup menu again?
    Last edited by teastman; Oct 25, 2014, 03:29 PM.
    Lead by example, but be an example worth following.

Supposedly the kinks have been ironed out. But I don't run with Secure Boot enabled, so I can't tell you for sure. I'm personally not a fan of the protection approach that Secure Boot implements. The threats it's designed for are rather uncommon for our typical usage scenarios.

Comment

STEVE!! I was looking for one of your posts! Did you ever come up with a dummies guide to dual booting a Kubuntu 14.04 install with rEFInd ?? I have been looking for that post for two days! You made reference to it in this post;
      https://www.kubuntuforums.net/showth...indows-machine

I think I like the idea and look of rEFInd. I just want to be redundantly paranoid for my machines at home.
      Lead by example, but be an example worth following.

Comment

Working...
      X