X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Install Kubuntu with Software Raid

Greetings,

I am trying to setup Kubuntu 14.04 on a Desktop using software Raid 0 with 2 drives (I know, backup required ). It seems that the documentation for this is a bit outdated and doesn't match the current installer. I don't see any advanced way of doing this in the current Kubuntu installer.

I tried using mdadm to create the raid volume with /boot and swap on separate partitions. This seemed to work, and I am able to install Kubuntu to the raid volume. However when I go to boot, it can't find /dev/md0 to load the raid volume. It loaded the raid information on the live usb, but of course that doesn't transfer to the install.

I've tried various other different configurations and searched around, but haven't been able to figure out a method for doing this. Can anyone point me in the right direction? Thanks in advance.

Would this wiki be of any use to you?
    http://ubuntuguide.org/wiki/Ubuntu_Trusty_RAID_and_LVM

Comment

Ya, the thread it links to is the same thread that is linked from the Kubuntu documentation. It's a bit outdated (2007), and talks about the discontinued alternate iso, and the mdadm part is where I ran into the issue of not having the raid information on the installed boot partition.

Comment

Are you sure your displaying the right page? At the bottom of the page I linked to it states "This page was last modified on 18 April 2014, at 04:26."

The wiki page also refers to Ubuntu Trusty which wasn't around in 2007.

Comment

No, he's right. I haven't updated the instructions in a while. Sorry.

Seems like a good project, though. In general, these days I like self-contained off-the-shelf storage systems with hot-swappable drives and haven't rolled my own lately.

So, despite the wording, the Ubuntugide instructions are indeed probably out of date.

UbuntuGuide/KubuntuGuide

Right now the killer is being surrounded by a web of deduction, forensic science,
          and the latest in technology such as two-way radios and e-mail.

Comment

Working...
          X