This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Problem using live cd [probably nvidia related]

I try to install Kubunt on my desktop PC but it does not start in graphics mode properly.
    The problem is not the live cd because I have used it to do an install on my laptop.

My desktop pc runs kubuntu well but I need more recent sw (libreoffice, k3b)
    The video card is NVIDIA 6150 and I am using the nvidia accellerated driver 173 on kubuntu 12.04

When booting from the 14.04 live usb (persistent), it boots to the screen that shows try Kubuntu - install kubuntu
    When I whant to click something the screen gets all garbled and I cannot read anything anymore.
    I rebooted to that screen again and used ALT SHIFT F12 and after that the screen remains readable.
    When I click Try Kubuntu, it starts partially, I see the background and the 4 KDE things appearing and then it stops.

Does this mean my older hw is not supported anymore or is there a way to use 14.04 anyway ?
    Je suis Charlie, how many more people have to die for religions
    linux user #447706 on https://linuxcounter.net
    A good place to start:
    Topic: Top 20 Kubuntu FAQs & Answers

on the startup screen thear are F* key options for extra kernel boot options ,,, one of them will let you edit the boot line ,,,,,try adding nomodset too the kernel boot options,,, and remove quiet splash so you can see whats happening .

VINNY
    i7 4core HT 8MB L3 2.9GHz
    16GB RAM
    Nvidia GTX 860M 4GB RAM 1152 cuda cores

Comment

Thanks, I found it.

It took me some time because the F key info is not immediately visible when booting from USB.
      There is a sort of battery and human symbol, and then it goes to the try-install screen that was completely messed up.
      A good place to start:

Comment

Originally posted by mbohets View Post
        Thanks, I found it.

It took me some time because the F key info is not immediately visible when booting from USB.
        There is a sort of battery and human symbol, and then it goes to the try-install screen that was completely messed up.
        so did you get it to boot correctly with the "nomodset" option ?

VINNY
        16GB RAM

Comment

yes, and after that the install went smoothly.
          After the install, Kubuntu prompted to also install the nvidia drivers instead of nouveau, and that took care of the issue in the final install.

It is a pitty that the F.. key messages are hidden by those battery and people icons while booting, otherwise I would have found it a lot earlier.
          Perhaps I could introduce that as a bug and ask the Kubuntu developpers to remove these icons and display the F key text instead.
          A good place to start:

Comment

Originally posted by mbohets View Post

It is a pitty that the F.. key messages are hidden by those battery and people icons while booting, otherwise I would have found it a lot earlier.
            Perhaps I could introduce that as a bug and ask the Kubuntu developpers to remove these icons and display the F key text instead.
            yes I quite agree with you hear,,,,,,,,,it feels like it's like an unfinished product the way it stands.

VINNY
            16GB RAM

Comment

Working...
            X