Collapse
This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Installation 'Prepare partition' tool won't let me mount ext3 without format

Hi,

I have 2 disks on my computer :
    sda : a ssd wich contain an existing windows on a primary partition (ntfs), the rest of the disk is not partitionned yet, i plan to install kubuntu there (ext4).
    sdb : contains my obsolete ubuntu installation (with specific partitions for / /home swap) in ext3.

I would like to install my new kubuntu on my ssd, creating the new partitions during the installation, and i would like to mount the existing partiions.

Here is the problem : when i get to the "Disk Setup" setup step of install, i can create the new partions on sda, BUT i cannot mount the existing ext3 partition with the "Prepare partition tool".
    Let me detail what happens :
    - I select an existing ext3 partition
    - i click 'change'
    - i set 'Use as' = ext3,
    - i UNCHECK 'format the partition',
    - i set a mount point '/mnt/abcd'.
    So far so good but when i click 'OK' my partition is listed with the format option CHECKED although i specifically unchecked it !

So it looks like i cannot mount any ext3 partition without formating them during the install, wich is really weird.

My first question is : why the f... can't i do that ?
    My second question would be : if i choose to ignore these partition in the install process, would i be able to easily automatically mount them later once kubuntu is installed ?

Hope it wasn't to confusng, please let me know if you don't understand what i mean, this is not my native language.

Thanks

The existing partitions seemed to be ext4 and not ext3 as i thought ...
    I guess i don't sleep enough...

Comment

Sleep is overrated

Comment

Working...
      X