This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Now that I actually want to upgrade ...

.... I can't seem to find the code. I was too busy to mess with the upgrade to 14.04 when it first came out, so I told the GUI Upgrade center to quit bugging me about it. Now I can't seem to find the way to tell it to go ahead and bug me. I'll upgrade now. Someone posted some code on how I can upgrade via the command line. I thought I had saved it, but I don't have it. I googled around and found some code, but I'm not sure if it's right. Here it is, along with the reasons why I think it might be wrong:

Code:
    sudo apt-get update
    sudo apt-get dist-upgrade
    (this link was kind of old)
    Code:
    sudo do-release-upgrade -m desktop -f kde -d
    sudo do-release-upgrade
    (they were talking about ubuntu to kubuntu)
    What code should I use to upgrade from 13.10 to 14.04? Or would I be better off doing it somehow via the GUI? If I upgrade via the terminal, will the GUI have the reminder next time an upgrade is available?
    Kubuntu 22.04 (desktop & laptop), Windows 7 &2K (via VirtualBox on desktop PC)
    ================================

Launch Muon Package Manager and go to Settings > Configure Sofware Sources... > Updates and ensure that Release Upgrade is set to Long term support releases only. Save and close.

Open a console and type:
    Code:
    sudo apt-get update
    sudo do-release-upgrade -d
    Using Kubuntu Linux since March 23, 2007
    "It is a capital mistake to theorize before one has data." - Sherlock Holmes

Comment

Originally posted by Snowhog View Post
      Launch Muon Package Manager and go to Settings > Configure Sofware Sources... > Updates and ensure that Release Upgrade is set to Long term support releases only. Save and close.

Open a console and type:
      Code:
      sudo apt-get update
      sudo do-release-upgrade -d
      Thanks. What if I want to change it to "normal releases"? I can do that, right? Do I run the code that you've shown first and then go back in and make that change? Won't harm anything, right?
      Kubuntu 22.04 (desktop & laptop), Windows 7 &2K (via VirtualBox on desktop PC)
      ================================

Comment

I'm not 100% certain that Long term support releases only is correct; it might be Normal Releases, so try my first suggestion. If that doesn't work, change it to Normal Releases and repeat.

Once you have sucessfully upgraded to 14.04, I suggest that you switch/ensure that Long term support releases only is set. And no, you won't harm anything.
        Using Kubuntu Linux since March 23, 2007
        "It is a capital mistake to theorize before one has data." - Sherlock Holmes

Comment

Working...
        X