X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

upgrade Kubuntu from 12.04 to 14.04 big problem

Hi guys,

I followed the wiki to upgrade (Kubuntu 12.04 LTS to 14.04 LTS Upgrade) and after the step 2) "install update from Muon update manager" the system asked me to restart to complte the update, I did but after reboot I get many error and at last I get the panel of the USER ID and PASSWD. I Typed the credentials but the system starts to work but get again the panel userr id and passwd, i.e. I didn't get the desktop.

So I cannot complete the upgrade, as reported on the wiki, i.e. I didn't run the step 3 "Press Alt-F2 and type kubuntu-devel-release-upgrade" and so on ....

Please do you have any idea to go on .
    thanks in advance
    Sandro

Hello,
    I don't get the desktop, I tried many times , the problem could be KDE? and in this case what can be done please ..??

regards

Comment

When you are at the screen where you type in your username and password, press CTRL+ALT+F1 instead. You will be presented with a console login. Type your username and press Enter and the type your password and press Enter. When you see the prompt type:
      Code:
      sudo chown -R username:username /home/username
      replace username with your login username. Example: sudo chown -R paulaul /home/paul

Type your password when prompted and press Enter. This will change the ownership on all files/directories within your /home directory to you, which they all should be. Then, type:
      Code:
      startx
      and press Enter. Do you get your Desktop?
      Last edited by Snowhog; May 04, 2014, 02:49 PM.
      Using Kubuntu Linux since March 23, 2007
      "It is a capital mistake to theorize before one has data." - Sherlock Holmes

Comment

Hi,
        the cmd "sudo chown -R username:username", in my case username=pippo, gives an error like "missing operand after "pippoippo", so I cannot try that
        Last edited by Snowhog; May 05, 2014, 08:48 AM.

Comment

chown -R blah:blah /home/blah

The command is just missing the location to chown

Sent from my Droid DNA using Tapatalk, like that really matters

Comment

Well, crap.
            Using Kubuntu Linux since March 23, 2007
            "It is a capital mistake to theorize before one has data." - Sherlock Holmes

Comment

Hello,
              unfortunately still I connot get the desktop.

After typed userid and passwd on the panel , I get now a little window, on the left corner of the video, like a terminal, where is possible type the comand linux. That is very strange for me.

Comment

Working...
              X