This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

MD5SUM value off by just one charecter

I just built a new computer and download Kubuntu Trusty. When I loadded it into k3b it showed the following MD5SUM: aefdc97d26e54066f5b50d36c5d4218c. Your web site list the following:

aefdc97d26e51066f5b50d36c5d4218c kubuntu-14.04-desktop-amd64.iso Notice the 54066 instead of 51066. Yet k3b claims it matches. Is this a bug in k3bd? Should I use the file or re download the file?
    Just to remind users and devs that Ubuntu and its flavors have a long way to go to be as usr friendly as they should be.

http://www.kubuntu.org/getkubuntu

Personally I'd re-download it. As Askrieger once said:
    It is NOT enough to verify the download, one bad byte in a music CD is totally unnoticeable, but one bad byte, in the wrong place, can ruin an installation CD.
    So, after I burned a CD with a GOOD md5sum ISO I'd re-insert the CD and check it to make sure the burned CD was good as well.

From a previous thread on Kubuntuforums.net, the final version of the bash script as modified by BlindSide:
    Code:
    [FONT=courier new][B]dd if=/dev/cdrom bs=2048 count=$(( $(stat -c %s nameofisohere.iso) / 2048)) | md5sum[/B][/FONT]
    $() : applies command substitution ie runs the enclosed command and uses the result in its place

stat -c %s "filename.iso" : grabs the filesize of "filename.iso" (in this case, the trusty tahr iso image)

$(( )) : applies arithmetic substitution, i.e. it evaluates the enclosed expression and uses the result in its place

Net upshot - the filesize is grabbed, divided by 2048 and plugged in as the 'count'
    Last edited by GreyGeek; May 02, 2014, 10:24 AM.
    "A nation that is afraid to let its people judge the truth and falsehood in an open market is a nation that is afraid of its people.”
    – John F. Kennedy, February 26, 1962.

Comment

Sounded like the kind of thing that could be a typo on the website, but I just downloaded and checked:

Code:
      feathers-mcgraw@Hobbs-T440s:~/Downloads$ md5sum kubuntu-14.04-desktop-amd64.iso
      aefdc97d26e51066f5b50d36c5d4218c  kubuntu-14.04-desktop-amd64.iso
      ...and the website is correct (also - kubuntuforums.net is privately owned, kubuntu.org is separate but "good friends" with KFN!)

Greygeek's advice about verifying the installation media is something you should definitely take on board - I was trying to install 14.04 to an old laptop and had a few failures, turns out it was the USB drive. If I had checked like GG suggests, I would have saved myself a lot of time!

Feathers
      samhobbs.co.uk

Comment

Definitely weird; if you change one bit in a file, it's md5sum should change completely. It's very hard work to make a change to a file to cause a two-bit change in the md5sum, unless there's a glaring hole in MD5, which we'd know about. I almost suspect a hardware glitch, a cosmic ray maybe, but a display bug in k3b seems most likely.

Regards. John Little
        Regards, John Little

Comment

I re dowloaded it and it burned fine. I haven't tried installing it yet as the monitor is all red. Probably the graphics card isn't connecting to the mother board well enough.
          Just to remind users and devs that Ubuntu and its flavors have a long way to go to be as usr friendly as they should be.

http://www.kubuntu.org/getkubuntu

Comment

Working...
          X