X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Fully functional 14.04 LTS on USB Stick WITHOUT "Live"

Hello everyone,

I'm going to transition to Kubuntu 14.04 (from the regular Ubuntu Gnome/unity) when I get more time, and trying to test it out beforehand. I know how to make a bootable USB with the image.

The thing is, I don't want "live" setup, I want an actual working installation. I know for a fact I've been able to do this with previous versions of Kubuntu. The current problem is: Using a live Kubuntu DVD, I go to install, thinking I should be allowed to select my USB thumb drive. I can't, it simply won't show. Again, I used to could do it with Kubuntu Raring.

I followed dibi's excellent thread here: https://www.kubuntuforums.net/showth...b+flash+method

However, that still results in a "live" or "install" options screen, and for whatever reason, I can't get permanence in the live session.

This is a hefty 60Gb thumb drive, I'd like to be able to take advantage of the size to have much freedom in experimenting before I upgrade to my production box. I've also tried unetbootin but I still only get "live" or "install" and again, the install won't recognize the usb thumb drive at all.

Any ideas?

Thanks!

See Installing 14.04 onto flash drive on ubuntuforums.org
    Using Kubuntu Linux since March 23, 2007
    "It is a capital mistake to theorize before one has data." - Sherlock Holmes

Comment

Yep. I read that, and I know GRUB needs to be on the thumb-drive. Problem was, the thumb-drive never even showed up in the dropdown on the appropriate screen during installation.

I don't know if this is what fixed it, but it occurred to me to format the thumb-drive as ext4. Once I did that, it showed up just fine, and I was able to proceed from there.

Thanks!

Comment

Working...
      X