This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

should I upgrade from encrypted

Should I let upgrade to 14.04 if kubuntu 13.10 I am on now is encrypted (I chose encrypted installation when I installed it) ? Will it remove encryption, or will encryption hinder the update and eventually break the machine? Anyone tried this?

You should be ok. I do believe that only your /home directory is encrypted, and that is not touched during the process. I don't use that feature myself at the moment, but I am sure many in here do, and have upgraded. Hopefully they chime in

Comment

Prosoor,
      My /home was encrypted and I did not face any problem to upgrade to 14.04 from 13.10.

Comment

No it's not /home encryption. Everything is encrypted except /boot partition. I think it's LUKS. I chose total encryption duriong installation of 13.10.

Comment

Like claydoh was saying, I think you should be ok. If you want to be sure, I would check on kubuntu irc channel and ask there.
          Another way could be to test the upgrade in a simple vm using virtualbox.

Comment

Because I am planning to do the same at work, I just tested it in a VM by installing Kubuntu 13.10 with LUKS fulldisk encryption followed by an online upgrade to 14.04. This worked.

Please let me know if it worked out for you, too.

Comment

Just a quick note, I did the same now on my PC (Full disk LUKS encrypted Kubuntu 13.10 upgraded to 14.04 using the online upgrade).

This worked.

Comment

Working...
              X