This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

"In place" upgrade from 12.04 to 14.04?

I understand that it is possible to upgrade from one LTS to the next 'in place' rather than have to reinstall. I have a very new installation of 12.04 on one of my machines, so it can get the 'in place' upgrade.

However....

I just used the Muon update manager with 12.04, and I got all the latest 12.04 updates downloaded and installed successfully. However, it did not offer me the opportunity to upgrade to 14.04. Did I do something wrong?

Frank.
    Linux: Powerful, open, elegant. Its all I use.

normally the LTS does not prompt and update untill the first point releases (14.04.1). its so the bugs get a bit more time to be smoothed out. If you want to upgrade now you can open konsole and use
    Code:
    sudo do-release-upgrade -d
    to force the upgrade.
    Mark Your Solved Issues [SOLVED]
    (top of thread: thread tools)

Comment

sithlord48:

Code:
      [COLOR=#111111][FONT=Consolas]
      $ sudo apt-get update[/FONT][/COLOR]
      [COLOR=#111111][FONT=Consolas]$ sudo apt-get install update-manager-core
      [/FONT][/COLOR][COLOR=#111111][FONT=Consolas]$ sudo do-release-upgrade
      [/FONT][/COLOR]
      That came from here: http://ubuntuforums.org/showthread.php?t=2217693

However, with that said, there is also this:

http://askubuntu.com/questions/44928...-upgrade-crash

Have you tried using only sudo do-release-upgrade -d ?

While the install on my desktop is quite new, I don't want to mess it up either. Takes me a while to get it set up the way I like.

What does $ sudo apt-get install update-manager-core do?

Thanks.

Frank.

Comment

OK, this thread got moved as we now have a full section for 14.04 (thanks, Steve). I'm not sure what that does to notifications about changes to THIS thread, so I am posting here again to 'restart' it if needed.

I still need to know exactly what to do for an in-place upgrade prior to the first point release, as noted in the post just preceding this one.

Another question: Is there any approximate time between the .0 and the .1 releases? If I am only going to wait a few days, then I'll just wait and do the upgrade through the update manger. If it is going to be a few weeks, then I may want to take my chances with an upgrade now.

Thanks.

Frank.

Comment

Second question is easy: Scheduled for July 24.

https://wiki.kubuntu.org/TrustyTahr/ReleaseSchedule

Comment

https://help.ubuntu.com/community/Tr...buntu/12.04LTS

Comment

Bob:

From the article you linked:

Some Issues: if Muon Update Manager still doesn't detects the latest version, close it and run the following command in Konsole: sudo update-manager -d which run the Update Manager and it will find the latest Kubuntu version.
              Both of the above were true in my case. Muon does not see the latest version, even after a full update. Running the terminal command did work. I successfully updated my desktop machine to 14.04 last night. There are a few weird things (Grub shows the old kernel as the default boot, so I have to manually select the new one, otherwise it won't boot at all), and the update chose a legacy nVidia driver for my card (though the legacy driver did work).

I did that update late last night, and have not had an opportunity to check things further. I will have to update some third party repositories myself, it seems.

However, it works -- so far.

Frank.

Comment

Originally posted by Frank616 View Post
                Muon does not see the latest version, even after a full update.
                Hi Frank,

If your interested in keeping current with updates you might want to check your /etc/update-manager/release-upgrades to make sure its set to "normal" and not "lts". I believe on the standard intallation it's set to 'normal'.

From the /etc/update-manager/release-upgrades file:

Code:
                # Default behavior for the release upgrader.

[DEFAULT]
                # Default prompting behavior, valid options:
                #
                #  never  - Never check for a new release.
                #  normal - Check to see if a new release is available.  If more than one new
                #           release is found, the release upgrader will attempt to upgrade to
                #           the release that immediately succeeds the currently-running
                #           release.
                #  lts    - Check to see if a new LTS release is available.  The upgrader
                #           will attempt to upgrade to the first LTS release available after
                #           the currently-running one.  Note that this option should not be
                #           used if the currently-running release is not itself an LTS
                #           release, since in that case the upgrader won't be able to
                #           determine if a newer release is available.
                Prompt=normal
                ...one other thought, at least here there have only been a few updates since 14.04 was released on 4/17. That might well explain it too.

cheers,
                bill
                Last edited by bweinel; Apr 21, 2014, 02:45 PM.
                sigpic
                A person who never made a mistake never tried anything new. --Albert Einstein

Comment

bweinel:

If your interested in keeping current with updates you might want to check your /etc/update-manager/release-upgrades to make sure its set to "normal" and not "lts". I believe on the standard intallation it's set to 'normal'.
                  I had wondered about that. I would have expected a slew of updates already, but I have received no notification -- normal if Canonical is not expecting 'in place' upgrades until July.

I would assume that I would set it back to 'lts' sometime in July, once the first point release is issued?

Frank.

Comment

Frank:

...or you can just leave it in "normal" as it will take the next point release when it comes out in July there as well. The "lts" feature prevents an upgrade from occuring until the first point release after the standard LTS comes out (...as it's presumed at that point to have all the release issues resolved.)

cheers,
                    bill
                    sigpic
                    A person who never made a mistake never tried anything new. --Albert Einstein

Comment

Bill:

...or you can just leave it in "normal"
                      Will this setting make it try to upgrade 14.04 to 14.10 when it comes out

I prefer to stick with LTS unless there is some REALLY good reason not to. The last time that I took the 6 monthly releases was with 10.04, when KDE4 was still a rolling beta.

Frank.

Comment

Working...
                      X