X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Impossible to log in my session

Hi everyone!

I have a surprising issue: I can't log in my session on Kubuntu 14.04 LTS. I can log withou any issues on the Guest session. When i enter my password, the authentication field vanishes and then I stay block indefinitely on the blue screen of Kubuntu. The loading icons don't even appear.

I have used a lot lately a live system: the last version of Kali Linux. I used to access my documents on my Kubuntu partition, including my documents on this session, in the /home. I can still access to all of these documents from my live version. Before the problem appears, I was doing a lot of forensics on an image on this session, but I don't think it can be related.

This is my problem, I hope somebody has an idea about the origin of my problem.
    Thanks for you help,
    PuckyPotts

Originally posted by PuckyPotts View Post
    Before the problem appears, I was doing a lot of forensics on an image on this session, but I don't think it can be related.
    Highly unlikely it isn't related. What type of forensics were you doing, and were you using graphical applications run by root?
    Using Kubuntu Linux since March 23, 2007
    "It is a capital mistake to theorize before one has data." - Sherlock Holmes

Comment

I was doing memory forensics. And I only use volatility frameworks, the last version (2.6). I have used on the image on my session I was studying the plugins imageinfo, pstree and memdump. I was root. Those were the last things I have done before loosing my access to my session.

The rest of the afternoon I have worked on images directly on my USB.

Comment

While doing memory forensics "as root", did you make any changes; write output to disc? If 'yes', where any such changes on files within your users (non-root) /home directory?

Comment

I have added, modified or removed many files on my session (non-root /hom directory) directly from Kali the last three weeks, but this morning I had no problems to log in my session. I don't remember doing any of these modifications this afternoon, only on my usb drive.

I connect through the Ctrl + Alt + F1 way.
          First of all, I have an error :

E: Unknown Error: '<class 'KeyError '>' ("The cache has no package names 'wine-devel-i386'") run-parts: /etc/update-motd.d/90-updates-available exited with return 255

However, I am connected to my sessions. By list the file at the root of /home, I have three interesting files that weren't here before and I am thinking there are related to this problem:

janv. 19 22:10 .Xauthority
          janv. 19 22:11 .xsession-errors
          janv. 19 21:40 .xsession-errors.old

The times of the files correspond to my last attempts to log on graphically (thus the X). Have you encountered such a case before ?

Comment

Who 'owns' .Xauthority? It should be your non-root user. If it is owned by root, that could be an indication of the cause of your problem.

Comment

No, it is own by the non-root user :/ .

Comment

But those three files hqv strange righ. They all have the rights:
                "-rw------"

There is an issue here? It should alo "rw" for the user?

Comment

Working...
                X