This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

How do I create a current ISO for Kubuntu 14.04 LTS

I'd like to have an up-to-date ISO for the 14.04 LTS release.

Before you point me at the normal update link, which I already have, please note that even that release (Kubuntu 14.04.4 LTS ) does NOT contain the most current software.

I'm running Kubuntu 14.04.4 LTS NOW and I have the ISO which was used to install that release.

Even upon installation, I still needed to download a rather large number of newer .deb files to make my system truly current.

SO; how do I create an ISO, or download it, which contains all of the most current software code?

Is this even possible? Does such an ISO file even exist?

Thanks for all your help.
    Kubuntu 23.11 64bit under Kernel 6.8.8, Hp Pavilion, 6MB ram. All Bow To The Great Google... cough, hack, gasp.

Take a look at Linux Respin
    Using Kubuntu Linux since March 23, 2007
    "It is a capital mistake to theorize before one has data." - Sherlock Holmes

Comment

Snowhog, thanks, That looks promising, I'll investigate.
      Kubuntu 23.11 64bit under Kernel 6.8.8, Hp Pavilion, 6MB ram. All Bow To The Great Google... cough, hack, gasp.

Comment

Snowhog,
        RE the Respin utility, have you been able to run it?

I have downloaded multiple files, as .deb, .docx, .pdf, .odp etc,

None of them can be read by my standard Kubuntu tools, like ARK, LibreOffice, QApt, Apper

The site lacks much in the way of documentation and the forum (from the previous incarnation of the software as Remastersys) contains just a lot of spam.

Comment

No, I have not used it. They do have a forum: http://www.remastersys.org/forums/
          Using Kubuntu Linux since March 23, 2007
          "It is a capital mistake to theorize before one has data." - Sherlock Holmes

Comment

Snowhog,

Thanks but, as I said, the forum contains just a lot of spam.

Edit I've also tried using apt-get, which faiils.
            Last edited by TWPonKubuntu; Nov 24, 2016, 01:06 PM. Reason: more testing

Comment

If you attempt to download the first occurrence of respin_1.1.0-1_all.deb the file will be 36Kb. Instead of right-clicking on it and selecting "Save link as", left click on it to open a new page which has the 92Kb package on it. Click the "Download" button to download it.

When I did a simulation install I got the following results:
              Code:
              sudo apt-get -s install /home/jerry/Downloads/respin_1.1.0-1_all.deb
              Reading package lists... Done
              Building dependency tree       
              Reading state information... Done
              Note, selecting 'respin' instead of '/home/jerry/Downloads/respin_1.1.0-1_all.deb'
              Starting pkgProblemResolver with broken count: 1
              Starting 2 pkgProblemResolver with broken count: 1
              Investigating (0) respin [ amd64 ] < none -> 1.1.0-1 > ( Desktop )
              Broken respin:amd64 Depends on dialog [ amd64 ] < none -> 1.3-20160209-1 > ( universe/misc )
                Considering dialog:amd64 2 as a solution to respin:amd64 9999
                Re-Instated dialog:amd64
              Broken respin:amd64 Depends on casper [ amd64 ] < none -> 1.376.2 > ( misc )
                Considering casper:amd64 1 as a solution to respin:amd64 9999
                Re-Instated user-setup:amd64
                Re-Instated localechooser-data:amd64
                Re-Instated samba-common:amd64
                Re-Instated cifs-utils:amd64
                Re-Instated casper:amd64
              Broken respin:amd64 Depends on libdebian-installer4 [ amd64 ] < none -> 0.102ubuntu1.1 > ( libs )
                Considering libdebian-installer4:amd64 1 as a solution to respin:amd64 9999
                Re-Instated libdebian-installer4:amd64
              Broken respin:amd64 Depends on ubiquity-frontend-debconf [ amd64 ] < none -> 2.21.63.3 > ( admin )
                Considering ubiquity-frontend-debconf:amd64 1 as a solution to respin:amd64 9999
                Re-Instated libparted-fs-resize0:amd64
                Re-Instated ubiquity-ubuntu-artwork:amd64
                Re-Instated ubiquity-casper:amd64
                Re-Instated rdate:amd64
                Re-Instated libecryptfs1:amd64
                Re-Instated keyutils:amd64
                Re-Instated libnss3-1d:amd64
                Re-Instated ecryptfs-utils:amd64
                Re-Instated python3-icu:amd64
                Re-Instated python3-pam:amd64
                Re-Instated archdetect-deb:amd64
                Re-Instated dpkg-repack:amd64
                Re-Instated apt-clone:amd64
                Re-Instated ubiquity:amd64
                Re-Instated bogl-bterm:amd64
                Re-Instated tasksel-data:amd64
                Re-Instated tasksel:amd64
                Re-Instated ubiquity-frontend-debconf:amd64
              Broken respin:amd64 Depends on syslinux [ amd64 ] < none -> 3:6.03+dfsg-11ubuntu1 > ( utils )
                Considering syslinux:amd64 1 as a solution to respin:amd64 9999
                Re-Instated mtools:amd64
                Re-Instated syslinux:amd64
              Broken respin:amd64 Depends on xresprobe [ amd64 ] < none ->  > ( none )
              Done
              Some packages could not be installed. This may mean that you have
              requested an impossible situation or if you are using the unstable
              distribution that some required packages have not yet been created
              or been moved out of Incoming.
              The following information may help to resolve the situation:

The following packages have unmet dependencies:
               respin : Depends: xresprobe but it is not installable
              Unfortunately, both the Debian and Ubuntu forums are in Russian. And, the last activity was six months ago. It may be dead.
              "A nation that is afraid to let its people judge the truth and falsehood in an open market is a nation that is afraid of its people.”
              – John F. Kennedy, February 26, 1962.

Comment

You might try this: https://help.ubuntu.com/community/LiveCDCustomization but, perhaps, modify it to use a USB stick.

Or you can download and try this: http://littlesvr.ca/isomaster/, if you know how to compile software.

The OEM install looks like your best bet, if the ISO you want to modify offers it:
                http://askubuntu.com/questions/36671...ne-oem-install
                Last edited by GreyGeek; Nov 24, 2016, 01:26 PM.
                "A nation that is afraid to let its people judge the truth and falsehood in an open market is a nation that is afraid of its people.”

Comment

Greygeek, thanks, I'll look into the LiveCD software, and yes, mods to use USB are preferable.

EDIT
                  Looking at OEM install, it still needs to have a 'net connection to update files.

I was not completely clear in my OP, I would like an ISO made with what is currently installed on my system (which has daily updates applied). My intent is to have an ISO which I can store away (back up) in case I lose the system and the 'net is down (or just completely gone...).

With the ISO, I can burn either a DVD or USB using one of several tools in my toolbox.

PS the help here is fantastic, I can't keep up with the replies! BUT DON"T STOP!
                  Last edited by TWPonKubuntu; Nov 24, 2016, 01:54 PM.

Comment

I edited that post to include the OEM install, which I think would be your best option. After you mod and ISO and recreate the ISO file any burn tool should work.

Comment

Greygeek, again thanks and I'll look at OEM install too.

Comment

this is what you want ,,,,,,, but it requires much work by you on the CLI ,,,,,

https://help.ubuntu.com/community/Ma...arddiskInstall

VINNY
                        i7 4core HT 8MB L3 2.9GHz
                        16GB RAM
                        Nvidia GTX 860M 4GB RAM 1152 cuda cores

Comment

Vinny, Yes, that is exactly the process I was looking for, and the "appendix" has instructions for writing to USB.
                          Thank you all, I'm marking this solved.

Comment

What about Clonezilla
                            systemd is not for me. I am a retro Nintendo gamer. consoles I play on are, SNES; N64; GameCube and WII.
                            Host: mx Kernel: 4.19.0-6-amd64 x86_64 bits: 64 compiler: gcc v: 8.3.0 Desktop: Trinity R14.0.8 tk: Qt 3.5.0 info: kicker wm: Twin 3.0 base: Debian GNU/Linux 10

Comment

NickStone Clonezilla would also work, although it would need a bigger USB since it stores a disk image including any installed programs and their data. That would be useful as a backup tool also,
                              Thanks!

Comment

Working...
                              X