This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

14.04.04 crashes during boot after kernel upgrade

Not long ago (I'm not certain how long) I got a set of system updates that included a kernel upgrade to linux-image-3.13.0-93-generic -- which my research suggests was needed to patch a keyring vulnerability that could let a malicious user make the system crash. Unfortunately, I've never been able to complete a boot with that kernel; I've had to use my legacy GRUB to start "previous kernel" which is currently running linux-image-3.13.092-generic. Not much of a security upgrade if you can't actually run it, right?

I presume I'll want/need to uninstall that kernel version once I have an updated one that runs, so my "previous kernel" safeguard will continue to work -- but does anyone know what might cause this problem? I don't have a screen image; can't store one because the failure occurs before screen shots can be stored, but I can take a picture of the final text on the screen at that point, if it'll help -- even a video of the relevant boot sequence, if I have a way to upload that kind of file.

How can I either make this version run, or know what version to replace it with?

what video/graphics card do you have ?

it could be a bad driver rebuild during the upgrade/update ,,,,

boot to your working kernel and run
    Code:
    sudo apt-get update && sudo apt-get  dist-upgrade
    do you get any errors/warnings ?

is the "dkms" package installed ,,,,,,,,it handles auto-building of kernel modules.

as a last step you can remove the non booting Kernel
    Code:
    sudo apt-get remove --purge linux-image-x.x.x-xx linux-image-extra-x.x.x-xx linux-headers-x.x.xx
    then rerun
    Code:
    sudo apt-get update && sudo apt-get  dist-upgrade
    VINNY
    i7 4core HT 8MB L3 2.9GHz
    16GB RAM
    Nvidia GTX 860M 4GB RAM 1152 cuda cores

Comment

Okay, I ran
      Code:
      sudo apt-get update && sudo apt-get dist-upgrade
      and received no error messages; it finished with the following:

Code:
      The following packages were automatically installed and are no longer required:
        libhdb9-heimdal libkdc2-heimdal linux-headers-3.13.0-83
        linux-headers-3.13.0-83-generic linux-headers-3.13.0-85
        linux-headers-3.13.0-85-generic linux-headers-3.13.0-86
        linux-headers-3.13.0-86-generic linux-image-3.13.0-83-generic
        linux-image-3.13.0-85-generic linux-image-3.13.0-86-generic
        linux-image-extra-3.13.0-83-generic linux-image-extra-3.13.0-85-generic
        linux-image-extra-3.13.0-86-generic
      Use 'apt-get autoremove' to remove them.
      0 upgraded, 0 newly installed, 0 to remove and 0 not upgraded.
      According to Synaptic, dkms is installed; I have version 2.2.0.3-1.1ubuntu5.14.04.7, which is the latest available (again, according to Synaptic).

I removed the 3.13.0-93 kernel version successfully; I'm waiting now for it to reinstall -- and, without any error messages,
      Code:
      sudo apt-get update && sudo apt-get dist-upgrade
      installed nothing.

I'm now running
      Code:
      sudo apt-get install
      with the same package names that were removed earlier, and that does appear to be doing something -- I'm getting errors asking me to install linux-headers-3.13.0-93-generic and linux-headers 3.13.0-93-lowlatency. I'm not sure installing them after the image and extra files are present will allow dkms to build in the nVidia drivers.

I do note that I have both /boot/vmlinuz-3.13.0-93-generic and /boot/vmlinuz-3.13.0-93-lowlatency, but I don't think the vNidia driver got baked in . I'll try rebooting to that kernel, and if it only takes me to a text login, I'll try to figure out what I did wrong when reinstalling, remove that kernel, and try again.
      Last edited by Silent Observer; Aug 19, 2016, 05:46 PM. Reason: More information

Comment

Okay, I'm not sure when the video got baked into the kernel during that install, but I've now got this:

Code:
        uname -a
        Linux Kubuntu64 3.13.0-93-lowlatency #140-Ubuntu SMP PREEMPT Mon Jul 18 22:41:33 UTC 2016 x86_64 x86_64 x86_64 GNU/Linux
        and Driver Manager says I'm using (recommended) nVidia 352.63. So, I guess that's fixed it, other than a lingering curiosity why there are now two kernel versions (generic and lowlatency) and how the system chooses between them during boot...

Comment

Working...
        X