This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Mutiple USB errors when booting

Lots of these errors show up when trying to boot. Kubuntu eventually boots but the computer occasionally will lock up completely requiring me to press and hold the power button until the computer dies as nothing else works.
    Code:
    The error is something like: [COLOR="#FF0000"]USB1.1 Device Descriptor Read Error Error 71[/COLOR]
    Just to remind users and devs that Ubuntu and its flavors have a long way to go to be as usr friendly as they should be.

http://www.kubuntu.org/getkubuntu

Why dose the following command say permission denied instead of asking for the root password like I expect:
    Code:
    sudo echo Y > /sys/module/usbcore/parameters/old_scheme_first
    Just to remind users and devs that Ubuntu and its flavors have a long way to go to be as usr friendly as they should be.

Comment

Originally posted by steve7233 View Post
      Why dose the following command say permission denied instead of asking for the root password like I expect:
      Code:
      sudo echo Y > /sys/module/usbcore/parameters/old_scheme_first
      Because even if you're running the command "echo Y" with sudo, the redirection "> /sys/module/usbcore/parameters/old_scheme_first" is a shell function and the shell is still running as a normal user (so it cannot write to /sys/module/usbcore/parameters/old_scheme_first)

If you wish to redirect output as root, you can run (for example):
      Code:
      sudo sh -c "echo Y > /sys/module/usbcore/parameters/old_scheme_first"
      or
      Code:
      echo Y | sudo tee /sys/module/usbcore/parameters/old_scheme_first

Comment

The command seemed to work but upon rebooting the problem still persists. I haven't added anything new and everything worked before. Maybe a recent update uncovered a latent bug.
        Last edited by steve7233; Mar 05, 2016, 08:04 PM. Reason: added information.

Comment

Have you checked out that error message, USB1.1 Device Descriptor Read Error Error 71,
          https://www.google.com/search?client...utf-8&oe=utf-8
          An intellectual says a simple thing in a hard way. An artist says a hard thing in a simple way. Charles Bukowski

Comment

That's how I got that command string to try. It didn't fix it. Still searching for a solution. Unfortunately Google search doesn’t always work but it can usually help. I'll try some other search engines tomorrow. Just in case googles spider bots missed something. I know it's rare these days but there is still the unlikely possibility of Google search missing something that is on the Internet.

Comment

I just noticed it says usb 4.1 not 1.1. I never heard of usb4 is that a new technology? Why am I getting usb 4 errors since my ports are all usb 2 not even usb 3. I wounder if the Linux kernal is misreading my hardware. Maybe modprob isn't working properly?

Comment

I just tried the following command:
                Code:
                steve7233@steve7233-EP45-UD3P:~$ echo Y | sudo tee /sys/module/usbcore/parameters/old_autosupend                                                                            
                tee: /sys/module/usbcore/parameters/old_autosupend: Permission denied                                                                                                       
                Y                                                                                                                                                                           
                steve7233@steve7233-EP45-UD3P:~$

Comment

I just tried the following command:
                  Code:
                  steve7233@steve7233-EP45-UD3P:~$ echo Y | sudo tee /sys/module/usbcore/parameters/old_autosupend                                                                            
                  tee: /sys/module/usbcore/parameters/old_autosupend: Permission denied                                                                                                       
                  Y                                                                                                                                                                           
                  steve7233@steve7233-EP45-UD3P:~$
                  What that command is trying to do is to create a file /sys/module/usbcore/parameters/old_autosupend (because there is no "old_autosupend" in the directory, a typo perhaps?).

However, /sys is a special virtual filesystem (sysfs) that is created by the kernel and it's modules to expose some settings to userspace, and while you generically can modify these existing "virtual" files (as root), you cannot create new files under /sys (even if root)...hence the permission denied error.

In short, the command works if you're writing to an existing file, but it won't work if the file doesn't exist (under /sys)
                  Last edited by kubicle; Mar 13, 2016, 11:12 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by kubicle View Post
                    What that command is trying to do is to create a file /sys/module/usbcore/parameters/old_autosupend (because there is no "old_autosupend" in the directory, a typo perhaps?).

However, /sys is a special virtual filesystem (sysfs) that is created by the kernel and it's modules to expose some settings to userspace, and while you generically can modify these existing "virtual" files (as root), you cannot create new files under /sys (even if root)...hence the permission denied error.

In short, the command works if you're writing to an existing file, but it won't work if the file doesn't exist (under /sys)
                    Then what do I do?

Comment

Then what do I do?
                      I really can't tell, because I have no idea what you're trying to do with that command (are you following some instructions you found on the net?...or where did that "old_autosupend" part come from?)
                      EDIT: Are you possibly trying to disable autosuspend? In that case the command would be:
                      Code:
                      echo -1 | sudo tee /sys/module/usbcore/parameters/autosuspend
                      (note the -1 and "autosuspend", not "old_autosupend")

I assume the first command didn't help?
                      Code:
                      echo Y | sudo tee /sys/module/usbcore/parameters/old_scheme_first
                      You could also try setting that module option on modprobe:
                      Code:
                      echo "options usbcore old_scheme_first=Y" | sudo tee -a /etc/modprode.d/myusbcoreoptions.conf
                      (and reboot)
                      if you also wish to set the autosuspend to disabled, you can also run:
                      Code:
                      echo "options usbcore autosuspend=-1" | sudo tee -a /etc/modprode.d/myusbcoreoptions.conf
                      Last edited by kubicle; Mar 23, 2016, 11:45 PM.

Comment

I am trying to fix my usb problems. If you read the entire thread then you can see what the problem is. I found that command on the Ubuntu forums.

Comment

Working...
                        X