This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

No Graphical Login Prompt Instead Terminal promt in Kubuntu 14.04.4

I have Kubuntu 14.04.4 installed with KDE 4.14.13 (from kubuntu backports ppa). Need help with kde login manager. I don't get graphical prompt instead terminal prompt appears upon boot for login and after logout. need to run startx manually after successful login from terminal. It used to work earlier now just stopped working.

everytime i logout i can see the message regarding xinit control process commiting suicide. What could be causing this issue.

Comment

check to see if you still have lightdm installed ,,,,,,,and more specifically "lightdm-kde-greeter"

Code:
      vinny@vinny-Bonobo-Extreme:~$ dpkg -l | grep lightdm
      ii  liblightdm-gobject-1-0                      1.10.6-0ubuntu1                         amd64        LightDM GObject client library
      ii  liblightdm-qt-3-0                           1.10.6-0ubuntu1                         amd64        LightDM Qt client library
      ii  lightdm                                     1.10.6-0ubuntu1                         amd64        Display Manager
      ii  lightdm-kde-greeter                         0.3.2.2-0ubuntu1                        amd64        LightDM KDE greeter
      and look at ~/.xsession-errors file ,,,,,,,it's a hidden file in your home .

VINNY
      Last edited by vinnywright; Feb 25, 2016, 04:59 PM.
      i7 4core HT 8MB L3 2.9GHz
      16GB RAM
      Nvidia GTX 860M 4GB RAM 1152 cuda cores

Comment

Hi Vinny i checked for lightdm and uninstalled all packages related to lightdm.Also checked ~/.xsession-errors, systemlog and kernellog but nothing unusual found. therafter I did the following to debug this issue which led to a disaster.

1. After manual login launched muon package manager from konsole using following command "sudo muon". Saw warning for permission for some files in root directory stating files owned by uid 1000 instead of 0.

2. Thereafter I modified permission for /tmp and /var/tmp with rwx-rwx-rwx for owner,group and other. executed following command.

sudo chmod 1777 -R /tmp
        sudo chmod 1777 -R /var/tmp

Now Graphical prompt wud appear but X server would throw a warning does not have permission to write to /tmp. Now cannot login.

3. Thereafter i executed following commands which did not help.

sudo chmod u+s -R /tmp
        sudo chmod u+s -R /var/tmp

4. Thereafter i booted a LIVE sesssion for 14.04.1 DVD and deleted /tmp and /var/tmp to create these directories again with permission similar to that of /tmp and /var/tmp in live session rofs.

5. Blunder happened here while deleting /tmp and /var/tmp accidently i deleted /bin (which i realised on reboot) and now linux does not even boot.

If i can recover /bin and its contents then i might be able to have a working system.

Comment

Don't know if it helps, or if doing so has caused problems, but you don't run muon with sudo, or even kdesudo. Running gui programs with sudo causes permissions changes that can muck things up. Muon also does not use kdesudo either, as it will automatically pop up a password prompt when needed - the component that actually performs package management functions needs this but the gui itself does not use admin privileges. The muon error you see may be directly because of running it with sudo.

Also a more specific error message concerning "xinit control process" might help
          Last edited by claydoh; Mar 01, 2016, 01:32 PM.

Comment

With missing /bin fixed system boots and i am still facing login issue -

KDM GUI login Prompt shows following error upon providing login credentials - "Call to lnusertemp failed (temporary directories full ?) Check your installation"

But my Root partion has over 5 GB in freespace.

.xsession_error file has following log

Xsession: X session started for ironman at Fri Mar 4 18:38:09 IST 2016
            localuser:root being added to access control list
            Script for ibus started at run_im.
            Script for auto started at run_im.
            Script for default started at run_im.
            init: upstart-dbus-session-bridge main process (1644) terminated with status 1
            init: upstart-dbus-session-bridge main process ended, respawning
            init: startkde main process (1701) terminated with status 1
            init: Disconnected from notified D-Bus bus
            init: logrotate main process (1636) killed by TERM signal

Comment

With missing /bin fixed system boots and i am still facing login issue -

KDM GUI login Prompt shows following error upon providing login credentials - "Call to lnusertemp failed (temporary directories full ?) Check your installation"

But my Root partion has over 5 GB in freespace. Could it be permission issue with /tmp or /var/tmp or home directory.

.xsession_error file has following log

Xsession: X session started for ironman at Fri Mar 4 18:38:09 IST 2016
              localuser:root being added to access control list
              Script for ibus started at run_im.
              Script for auto started at run_im.
              Script for default started at run_im.
              init: upstart-dbus-session-bridge main process (1644) terminated with status 1
              init: upstart-dbus-session-bridge main process ended, respawning
              init: startkde main process (1701) terminated with status 1
              init: Disconnected from notified D-Bus bus
              init: logrotate main process (1636) killed by TERM signal

Comment

There comes a point of diminishing returns. I never trouble shoot a problem if I determine it will take more time to fix that doing a fresh install and restoration. For me, that's about 20 minutes for re-install and 40 minutes to reload my data, if I take my time.
                "A nation that is afraid to let its people judge the truth and falsehood in an open market is a nation that is afraid of its people.”
                – John F. Kennedy, February 26, 1962.

Comment

Troubleshooting helped :-) found that softlink kde-`hostname` to /tmp/kde-<username> was missing in /home/<username>/.kde

"Call to lnusertemp failed (temporary directories full ?) Check your installation" is issued by startkde.

I did the following to resolve this problem: Execute commands mentioned below with sudo or su

1. Create following link in /home/username/.kde.
                  ln -s /tmp/kde-ironman tmp-`hostname` where ironman is the username for my setup. You wud have to change it to yours

2. Make sure /tmp and /var/tmp has correct permission by executing following command as root
                  chmod 1777 /tmp
                  chmod 1777 /var/tmp

3. Ensure /tmp/kde-<username> has owner set to user:group (user and group being the same usually)
                  chown username:username /tmp/kde-<username> [remove <> brackets when executing]

4. Ensure /home/username/.kde has appropriate ownership set to desired user:group
                  chown username:username /home/username/.kde
                  Last edited by rahulprabhakar; Mar 05, 2016, 12:53 PM.

Comment

Working...
                  X