This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Problem with dual screen setup

I have a relatively recent install of 14.04.3. on my Thinkpad W520 with Optimus (Intel & nVidia)
    It replaced 14.10 that itself was an update from 14.04, neither of the two had the problem I'm presently experiencing.

The main problem is when I have an external 2nd monitor via HDMI connected the taskbar/panel will always be on the wrong (the external) monitor.
    And it's usual impossible to drag the panel to the correct screen.

Anyone with suggestions?

To my way of thinking about this, it would indicate that the external HDMI monitor is being selected as the 'primary' display. That 'should' be changeable in the Display & Monitor (?) settings in System Settings.
    Using Kubuntu Linux since March 23, 2007
    "It is a capital mistake to theorize before one has data." - Sherlock Holmes

Comment

Yes it's a star symbol to select the 'Primary monitor', it turns to yellow (golden) when selected but has no effect on either background or panel.

Btw, it's the same using VGA.

I might try by making a new user account.

Comment

Tonight I've done a very fresh install (14.04.4) and get the same problem, can't really get a nice dual screen setup. Weird enough it was OK at the initial boot but after doing the available updates it broke again.

Comment

You said Intel and Nvidia ... is this two separate graphics cards? Or just Nvidia graphics? Are you using nvidia-settings? The checkbox "Make this the primary display for the X screen" is the key to where the default panel goes.
          I'd rather be locked out than locked in.

Comment

This is an Optimus setup.
            Meaning an Intel card for the internal screen and the nVidia for the external.
            The Intel card will never access the external monitor, if I set the BIOS accordingly I can run nVidia exclusively which gives a much better experience, but at the cost of battery life.

I've been running this without big problems for nearly 4 years but recently it is failing.
            The problems was similar in Kubuntu 15.10 (Plasma5) but since a few weeks that works better, not great but I can live with it.

An other problem is that a cold boot will now result in a black screen, I can switch to a terminal. log in and reboot from the CLI which will result in the usual start up screen.

This morning I found out in the black screen I can blindly type in my password and get a normal running system.

Comment

Originally posted by Teunis View Post
              This morning I found out in the black screen I can blindly type in my password and get a normal running system.
              Which means that you are on the Login Greeter screen; it just isn't displaying the visual content. This could indicate a Theme problem.
              Using Kubuntu Linux since March 23, 2007
              "It is a capital mistake to theorize before one has data." - Sherlock Holmes

Comment

Yes I agree with the theme angle, yet it's set to the standard one, I've never installed an alternative.

In the mean time things got a little better after I deleted the xorg.conf file (using 15.10) and I can now again set the primary screen on the laptop panel.
                There are other problems shared with 15.10 like conky is lost after about half the reboots.

Comment

Working...
                X