This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Refind boot of kubuntu has awful screen resolution

I have upgraded everything on my computer except the box, so I am now all GPT and EFI. Converted the disks with no problem.

I have two Linux systems installed on my ssd /dev/sda, one Kubuntu 14.04 and one Debian 8.2. I have installed Refind to see if it is handier than grub.

Now on the refind menu, I see a bunch of things, including the grubs of both Debian and Kubuntu, which work as expected. There are also more direct links to both OSs. If I click on the Debian one, it boots fine. But the Kubuntu one comes up with huge characters and overlapping windows. Still, I can manage to open the Nvidia configure program and it tells me the screen is in 1920x1200. What can be happening?

Also, reboot takes much longer than before I installed Refind. I do not at all understand what is going on. For the moment, I have set my firmware to boot one of the grubs.
    'I must have a prodigious quantity of mind; it takes me as much as a week sometimes to make it up.' Mark Twain

You don't need refind AND grub, you can remove grub and pin it at -1 in apt to prevent it from being reinstalled automatically when you upgrade the kernel. At the moment, refind is just an extra layer that you're not getting anything out of brcause you're still using grub to boot the kernel, if you remove grub and use refind to boot the kernel directly you should be back to your old boot time, or better.

I'm afraid I don't know what cases your display problem.
    samhobbs.co.uk

Comment

Feathers: You don't need refind AND grub ...
      That's correct. BUT ... although he DOES have both rEFInd & GRUB installed, he should not have boot-time issues, IME. I keep both installed (to do experiments), and have no boot issues. Other than possibly just this one little thing: When you re-boot with both installed, if rEFInd is set to boot first (in UEFI BootOrder), rEFInd will appear, and it will scan all your disks fresh to detect anything that is bootable that it can boot for you. Then it shows its boot menu for you to choose from. If you choose your Kubuntu, you will then see your GRUB boot menu to choose something from. But even that sequence--on my machine, a basic ASUS H97-Plus mainstream i5--doesn't take very long, it flashes right along as I click through it.
      An intellectual says a simple thing in a hard way. An artist says a hard thing in a simple way. Charles Bukowski

Comment

btw, I don't think you have to bother removing GRUB (until the day comes you want to do so), but, fyi, my how-to:

Remove GRUB from UEFI -- Instead, use rEFInd and/or UEFI firmware boot menus
        https://www.kubuntuforums.net/showth...317#post378317

And, btw, even though you have GRUB installed, having rEFInd also installed comes in handy in case you ever have a problem booting your machine after making some change or getting some mess-up update to something and can't boot with GRUB. Of course, having said that, you needn't install rEFInd because you can also keep a rEFInd CD/USB handy for such rescue emergencies:

https://www.kubuntuforums.net/showth...l=1#post376838
        https://www.kubuntuforums.net/showth...l=1#post379352

Actually, you can wait and make this CD/USB in a live Kubuntu session, if the need arises,

Using Your Live Kubuntu DVD/USB to Fix Things
        https://www.kubuntuforums.net/showth...l=1#post379485
        An intellectual says a simple thing in a hard way. An artist says a hard thing in a simple way. Charles Bukowski

Comment

Still two points....

Thanks for the comments. I understand that refind boots everything in sight, including grubs on different drives as well as systems on different drives. That is what I like about it. I still have two questions:

(1) Can't refind give better names to systems? Grub says "Kubuntu 14.04 (LTS)" or "Debian 8.2" and gives the partitions. Refind, as least on my installation, just says vmlinuz-3.16.0-4-amd64, which does not tell me a whole lot.

(2) The subject of this post: Why is my display messed up?
          'I must have a prodigious quantity of mind; it takes me as much as a week sometimes to make it up.' Mark Twain

Comment

Can't refind give better names to systems?
            I suppose rEFInd can be made to do many things--if you wish to dig into it and do the work. As you know, it has an icon mode and a text mode, also.

The rEFInd Boot Manager: Configuring the Boot Manager
            http://www.rodsbooks.com/refind/configfile.html

Comment

the properitary nvidia driver may have an issue with plymouth (the pretty boot splash) iirc you need to tweak your grub cfg to manually set the res other wise you get a fallback of like 640*480 . im sure a quick google search for "nvidia driver plymouth fix" or something would get you an answer.
              Mark Your Solved Issues [SOLVED]
              (top of thread: thread tools)

Comment

Working...
              X