This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

No desktop effects after routine update

Just installed the latest updates on a Dell M6600 with nVidia Quadro 3000M video card and nVidia 346.96 driver. I had issues with the driver manager quitting early when trying to choose the nVidia driver, and leaving me with 640 x 480. Finally rebooted and redid the driver manager, and now seem to have the right driver installed, but I get the attached messages, and no desktop effects.

Code:
    frank@Rhino:~$ lspci | grep NVIDIA
    01:00.0 VGA compatible controller: NVIDIA Corporation GF104GLM [Quadro 3000M] (rev a1)
    01:00.1 Audio device: NVIDIA Corporation GF104 High Definition Audio Controller (rev a1)
    frank@Rhino:~$
    Code:
    frank@Rhino:~$ sudo lshw -c video
    [sudo] password for frank: 
      *-display               
           description: VGA compatible controller
           product: GF104GLM [Quadro 3000M]
           vendor: NVIDIA Corporation
           physical id: 0
           bus info: pci@0000:01:00.0
           version: a1
           width: 64 bits
           clock: 33MHz
           capabilities: pm msi pciexpress vga_controller bus_master cap_list rom
           configuration: driver=nvidia latency=0
           resources: irq:55 memory:de000000-dfffffff memory:d0000000-d7ffffff memory:d8000000-dbffffff ioport:7000(size=128) memory:e0000000-e007ffff
    frank@Rhino:~$
    Any suggestions?

Thanks.

Frank.
    Attached Files
    Linux: Powerful, open, elegant. Its all I use.

Check the compositor setting in System Settings (I can't recall exactly where it is stashed in KDE 4 - probably in the Advanced tab in your screenshot) - I will bet that it is set to xrender. You should be able to set it back to opengl version 3 (or 2).

Comment

Claydoh:

Yep! That got it!

So, how did this come about? I've never touched that setting, and it worked before. Has something major changed in the backend?

Thanks.

Frank.
      Linux: Powerful, open, elegant. Its all I use.

Comment

No, Plasma detected that it could not use opengl when you were having driver issues, and set it to xrender so you could at least get to a usable desktop. it probably didn't notice that all was well after you got things fixed.

Comment

Yes, check there first... it likes to revert back to xrender for fun I guess.
          Kubuntu 18.04 on AMD

Comment

Working...
          X