This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Resource hog: update-apt-xapi solution

I've been experiencing slow boot on an old laptop and this is the result of my "fix" research;

Laptop: HP pavilion, 512MB ram, single processor

Symptoms: Boot operation is periodically slowed by the process "update-apt-xapi", the name for which is truncated from "update-apt-xapian-index".

Using either the system monitor gui or "top" in Konsole, the culprit was the above mentioned process, which was taking all available processor cycles, causing a total of 100% CPU usage and causing all other processes to stop/delay for up to 15 minutes.

Solution: Web search found this link, the instructions work ON_MY_MACHINE, so your mileage may vary.

http://vk5hse.blogspot.com/2014/08/ubuntu-apt-xapian-index-update-manager.html

Note that the solution invovles installing the "cpulimit" tool and editing a file in the /etc/cron.weekly directory. Not hard to implement.

This works for me and if your situation is similar, it may work for you.

This problem only appears when you have a resource-poor system, such as this one. You may not notice it on a multi-processor system with lots of ram. I only found it after I installed 14.04 LTS on a laptop.

Also, this has been a reported problem since at least 2010 and I'm not sure it has been fixed in newer versions...
    FYI
    Last edited by TWPonKubuntu; Jun 24, 2015, 08:21 AM.
    Kubuntu 23.11 64bit under Kernel 6.8.8, Hp Pavilion, 6MB ram. All Bow To The Great Google... cough, hack, gasp.

IME 1 GiB of RAM isn't enough for Kubuntu, hats off to you if you've made a usable system with half that. Can you run a browser in that?
    I'd have thought Lubuntu would be a better fit out of the box, uses ~ 170 kiB logged in.

Regards, John Little
    Regards, John Little

Comment

Originally posted by jlittle View Post
      ...Can you run a browser in that?...
      Regards, John Little
      Yes John, I run Kongueror, Firefox ver. 38 from the repository and Firefox-dev ver. 40, of course not simultaneously, and there is a lag. Which is nothing compared to how slow Windoze XP was running on it before I upgraded.

I had the 14.04 DVD, so I switched hard drives (40GB) and spent a few days downloading and configuring.
      I removed all the desktop bells and whistles using System Settings/Desktop Effects. The swap file is 2GB and it does get used, <g> The installation occupies around 7.5 GB and I have 19.5GB left in my /home partition after installing Firefox, Thunderbird and loading a set of backup data (10GB) from my desktop.

I also needed to disable both the screen saver and the power management, which do not allow me to recover from a "time-out" event. They just showed a black screen and locked me out, forcing a full manual power down. The hardware is a little old, so not surprising.

I also run Thunderbird or KMail. Which are a little more touchy and do fail to load a about 25% of the time. A system reboot usually fixes this.

It's not blazingly fast, but it does work, I'm writing this on it...
      Kubuntu 23.11 64bit under Kernel 6.8.8, Hp Pavilion, 6MB ram. All Bow To The Great Google... cough, hack, gasp.

Comment

Working...
      X