This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

network connection doesn't start

I use ethernet connection (cable, it usually connects me automatically even after new system install, no settings required, I guess it is called DHCP). Sometimes when I log in it just doesn't work. Only after system restart it works again automatically. Even when I go into connections editor and choose cable connections it doesn't work. Only system restart makes it work again.

I reported bug
    https://bugs.kde.org/show_bug.cgi?id=335585
    NM developer wrote that I am using an old Plasma NM version that is not maintained anymore. Can you install a newer version and test if the problem still persists? Current Plasma NM version is 0.9.3.5.

I also sent him logs and he replied:
    I am looking at the logs you sent me and those lines looks odd to me:
    cat /etc/resolv.conf# Dynamic resolv.conf(5) file for glibc resolver(3) generated by resolvconf(8)# DO NOT EDIT THIS FILE BY HAND -- YOUR CHANGES WILL BE OVERWRITTEN nameserver 127.0.1.1

That can only works if your computer is a name server, a configuration that is rarely used and can cause the problem you have. Without a valid nameserver even if you dsl connection is working properly you will not be able to access any site from Internet. Can you check in your dsl modem that the DNS part is properly configured?
    Then I asked for help on my internet provider support forum and they suggested to set IPv4, with working DNS values so I did on user account. It worked a few boots to system, but not always.
    Today the bug reappeared. My IPv4 settings where deleted.

Is there a way to set IPv4 for the whole system permanently in configuration files?

In Network manager settings on administration account NM didn't asked for password when I introduced IPv4 settings so I guess it won't last to long.

On internet support forum they also advised me to uninstall Dnsmasq when problem reoccurs. Is it a good idea?

Terminal output (after crash)
    http://pastebin.com/Kag6TQMw

Is it a good idea to ask Kubuntu developers on their mailing list to update NM to new version if the one from 14.04 0.9.8.8-0ubuntu7.1 is unsupported?

I'd prefer not to reinstall the whole KDE or system because of one bug at least untill Plasma 5 becomes useable.

The bug reoccurs a few times a week so it becomes quite uncomfortable.

It's obvious that the NetworkManager maintainer is unaware of how *buntu implements DNS and DHCP using Dnsmasq and Resolvconf. Please ignore the statement about a "rarely used" configuration and do not follow the advice to remove Dnsmasq.

What's the output of
    Code:
    cat /etc/network/interfaces

Comment

When connection works it is:
      Code:
      # interfaces(5) file used by ifup(8) and ifdown(8)
      auto lo
      iface lo inet loopback
      But I can't reproduce this "lack of connection" situation, so to give output I will have to wait until it happens.

Comment

The file is correct.

When the problem happens, please open a console window and run:
        Code:
        cp /var/log/syslog ~/syslog.save
        I'm having you do this to copy the log into a new file. Then reboot your computer. Once you get a connection, do this:
        Code:
        sudo apt-get install pastebinit
        Now run:
        Code:
        pastebinit ~/syslog.save
        The pastebinit utility will copy the saved file to Ubuntu's pastebin and return a URL. Reply here with that URL, so we can take a look at the log.

Comment

As you keep working on the software diagnosis as S-R advises ... Interjection: This is not your Ethernet cable, right? Or, even if the cable may be good, I'd be curious to see this: you log in, it doesn't work this time, with the PC booted as is, try removing the Ethernet cable at one end (either the modem end or the PC end where it plugs into the back of your PC), wait say 30 seconds, and plug it back in, see if the connection starts. I have this problem in 14.04 on some unpredictable schedule that seems random and may be once every month or two, or 4x a week.
          An intellectual says a simple thing in a hard way. An artist says a hard thing in a simple way. Charles Bukowski

Comment

When I was disconnected
            Code:
            auto lo
            iface lo inet loopback
            http://paste.ubuntu.com/11729368/

Unplugging Ethernet cable and putting it back started connection but this is not good as a default solution.
            The biggest problem is that in this version of network manager reconnect option (green round arrow icon) doesn't work.
            Do you think I should report a bug on Kubuntu launchpad and ask for updating network manager to the new version?

Comment

Unplugging Ethernet cable and putting it back started connection but this is not good as a default solution.
              Oh I do agree with that. I'll be watching now to see if anything can be gleaned as to what could cause this. Thanks.
              An intellectual says a simple thing in a hard way. An artist says a hard thing in a simple way. Charles Bukowski

Comment

Originally posted by gnomek View Post
                When I was disconnected
                Code:
                auto lo
                iface lo inet loopback
                http://paste.ubuntu.com/11729368/

Here's what I see.

1. On 6/15 at 10:54:00, NetworkManager noticed that a connection went away and thus deconfigured all networking.

2. Still at 10:54:00, DBus (a system-wide interprocess communication mechanism) reactived NetworkManager.

3. Between 10:54:32 and 10:54:34, NetworkManager configured eth0 for IPv4. DHCP asked for and obtained the address 192.168.0.10, gateway 192.168.0.1, and DNS servers 62.179.1.{60,61}. Using DBus, NetworkManager sent DNS details to dnsmasq, which is acting as your machine's local resolver.

4. At 10:54:52, NetworkManager gave up trying to configure the interface for IPv6 -- totally normal if you don't have IPv6 in your home network.

5. At 12:28:28, you rebooted your computer.

6. Between 12:28:31 and 12:28:36, NetworkManager configured eth0 for IPv4. DHCP asked for and obtained the address 192.168.0.10, gateway 192.168.0.1, and DNS servers 62.179.1.{60,61}. NetworkManager started dnsmasq (because it wasn't running) and tried to communicate with it, which failed -- dnsmasq wasn't ready yet. When dnsmasq appeared on DBus, NetworkManager sent DNS details to dnsmasq.

7. At 12:28:51, NetworkManager gave up trying to configure the interface for IPv6.

This all looks rather normal, but I have two questions.
                • What were you doing on your computer at 10:54:00 that might have caused the network to reconfigure itself? Was this when you unplugged and re-plugged the Ethernet cable?
                • Why did you reboot at 12:28:28?

The biggest problem is that in this version of network manager reconnect option (green round arrow icon) doesn't work.
                Do you think I should report a bug on Kubuntu launchpad and ask for updating network manager to the new version?
                I don't think your problem is related to the installed versions of NetworkManager or Plasma-NM. (Besides, 14.04 will not receive updates to these packages. *buntus aren't rolling releases.)

Comment

I don't remember what I was doing.

Strange is that I created report before sending Wed, 17 Jun 2015, but in report itself there is Jun 15 listed.

Next time I will notice details and send another report.

Comment

I'm not sure this is relevant, but it is similar to a long-standing problem involving Network Manager on waking up from suspension. It was supposedly fixed some time ago but still affects me occasionally on Utopic. Recently I researched it and found the command

sudo nmcli nm sleep false

It worked the only time I I've had to try it. (I had tried disconnecting and reconnecting the cable, and it didn't work, though perhaps I didn't wait long enough.)
                    Regards, John Little

Comment

It happened again. I used
                      Code:
                      pastebinit ~/syslog.save
                      but it doesn't work properly. It displays old logs from Jun 15, so I don't link it here.

Instead here is today's log.
                      http://pastebin.com/Fwr7J9Jv
                      I turned PC on Jun 23 11:12:46
                      Relogged to administrator account to see logs but there was no connection to post them so next
                      Jun 23 11:17:48 - I restarted system. Connection started.

So, relogged again to administration account to get logs again and relogged to user account to post them.

Comment

Hey same problem here.

I am running Kubuntu 15.04. I have two PC's with the exact same problem. One of those received a fresh installation, but the problem presists.
                        I have never experienced something like this with older Versions of Kubuntu. It also seems that it only effects hardwired connections.

Greetings ripper81

Comment

Same pb here, almost

Hello friends in troubleland,
                          I have 15.04 at the office* and every morning I need to run
                          Code:
                          [FONT=monospace][COLOR=#000000]sudo service network-manager restart[/COLOR][/FONT]
                          I realised today that I can do it from the GUI. Nevertheless, it is quite frustrating to have such a nice OS and having to manually tweak something that should be automatic.
                          I noticed also that a reboot or restart the same day makes it unecessary to restart the network, if that helps.
                          here is
                          Code:
                          pier@pier-Bur:~$ cat /etc/network/interfaces

auto lo
                           iface lo inet loopback
                          and pastebinit today
                          It would be lovely to move towards a solution to this.

*(15.04 at home as well, my signature is obsolete and I have not seen how to edit it)
                          Kubuntu 13.04 (64b) - LDLC Aurore BB2-i5-8-S1 - Intel Core i5-2450M - 8 Go - SSD 128 Go - 15.6" LED - Graveur DVD Wi-Fi N/Bluetooth
                          Office : Kubuntu 13.04 (64b) - PC tour LDLC PC Zi-Artist - i7-3770 @ 3.4/3.9Ghz - RAM 16Go - SSD 120Go - DD 3To - nVidia GEForce GT 640 1Go

Comment

It happened again. I used
                            Code:
                            pastebinit ~/syslog.save
                            but it doesn't work properly. It displays old logs from Jun 15, so I don't link it here.
                            That's because the file syslog.save still contains what you copied into it the first time. But since you know how to successfully send syslogs to Pastebin, we don't need to use this procedure anymore.

Instead here is today's log.
                            http://pastebin.com/Fwr7J9Jv
                            I turned PC on Jun 23 11:12:46
                            Relogged to administrator account to see logs but there was no connection to post them so next
                            Jun 23 11:17:48 - I restarted system. Connection started.

So, relogged again to administration account to get logs again and relogged to user account to post them.
                            In your PM to me, you wrote:
                            I wrote to NetworkManager developer and he replied:

"When I wrote that using 127.0.0.1 as nameserver is rarely used I meant rarely used by normal users. Usually only servers use such a configuration, if *Ubuntu decided to use it then you are susceptible to problems related to the interaction between NetworkManager and the nameserver (dnsmasq server in this case). I prefer not to use dnsmasq for something as simple as updating /etc/resolv.conf, it may add more flexibility but also adds more things to go wrong. You can try configuring your system to launch dnsmasq before NetworkManager starts, that way the first NetworkManager's attempt to update /etc/resolv.conf should not fail."

I don't know anything about config file configuration in connection to internet.

Do you think it is reasonable to report Kubuntu bug at launchpad?
                            I don't believe your problem is related to how Ubuntu configures the network stack. If there really were an issue related to how NetworkManager, dnsmasq, and resolvconf are configured, then hundreds of thousands of people would all experience the same problem. In Ubuntu's configuration, resolv.conf is actually managed by the package resolvconf. dnsmasq receives DNS information from DHCP and stores it in DBus. dnsmasq resolves queries. resolvconf ensures that the resolv.conf file always points to the local dnsmaq instance rather than a DNS server somewhere on the Internet. This becomes especially important when you're using a VPN. dnsmasq knows which name servers can resolve addresses for which subnets, and insures that you can always type only a hostname (as opposed to a fully qualified domain name) and it will be resolved on the correct network. This configuration has been the default *bunutu way for many releases now, is quite robust, and shouldn't be changed. In fact, other distros could learn from it.

As I look at your logs, I see an important difference. During the 11:17 attempt, we see this:
                            Code:
                            Jun 23 11:17:52 yellow-945P-DS3 NetworkManager[810]: <info> (eth0): carrier now ON (device state 20)
                            That never appeared for th 11:12 event. For some reason, the Ethernet jack isn't fully enabling itself after a cold boot.

When the network is working correctly, what's the output of
                            Code:
                            sudo lshw -C network
                            Do you have any sort of power management software running?

Comment

Code:
                                *-network               
                                     description: Ethernet interface
                                     product: RTL8111/8168/8411 PCI Express Gigabit Ethernet Controller
                                     vendor: Realtek Semiconductor Co., Ltd.
                                     physical id: 0
                                     bus info: pci@0000:03:00.0
                                     logical name: eth0
                                     version: 01
                                     serial: **:**:**:**:**:**
                                     size: 1Gbit/s
                                     capacity: 1Gbit/s
                                     width: 64 bits
                                     clock: 33MHz
                                     capabilities: pm vpd msi pciexpress bus_master cap_list rom ethernet physical tp mii 10bt 10bt-fd 100bt 100bt-fd 1000bt 1000bt-fd autonegotiation
                                     configuration: autonegotiation=on broadcast=yes driver=r8169 driverversion=2.3LK-NAPI duplex=full ip=192.168.0.10 latency=0 link=yes multicast=yes port=MII speed=1Gbit/s
                                     resources: irq:43 ioport:a000(size=256) memory:d4000000-d4000fff memory:80400000-8040ffff
                              Originally posted by SteveRiley View Post
                              Do you have any sort of power management software running?
                              No. And I don't have any special settings set. It is classic PC, not laptop.

Comment

Working...
                              X