This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Upgrade Path after 14.10 EOL

I'm a little confused as to the upgrade path after 14.10 support ends (soon). If 14.04 continues to get updates, doesn't that mean at some point (over the next five years) 14.04 will have newer packages than 14.10? I don't see the upgrade going well at that point.

So, do I have to upgrade now? 15.04 isn't ready for prime-time IMHO so I'd rather wait but if that means I have to do a full/clean install later... then I dunno, I might just do it anyways, despite end of life/support for 14.10.

LTS get some updates, but for the most part, in LTS status does not guarantee desktop updates for the full lifespan. I do not think that Trusty will see KDE version past 4.13.3, as it is qt4 based, so I do not foresee it catching up to 14.10.

Of course, you are not obligated to upgrade from 14.10, but being "unsupported" for three months is definitely a consideration.

Basically, this 9 month thing is sort of new, it used to be 18 months, so i really don't know what to suggest, especially taking in to consideration the move to Plasma 5.

Comment

Yeah, I want the latest version of plasma4 since I'm not going to 5 any time soon. I guess not updating for a few months isn't necessarily bad, especially considering how often updates have been breaking things lately. I'm already using kernel 4.0 from the Intel DRM branch and I really want to use Intel's latest video driver which requires 14.10 so... here goes nutin':

https://help.ubuntu.com/community/Ut...grades/Kubuntu
      https://01.org/linuxgraphics/downloa...er-linux-1.0.8

Comment

Originally posted by claydoh View Post
        Of course, you are not obligated to upgrade from 14.10, but being "unsupported" for three months is definitely a consideration.
        Including no security updates.

Comment

Most of the glaring vulnerabilities (like sending a 0 to a file and blowing up the box) were fixed with newer kernels, which I'm not getting from the K/Ubuntu officials/authorities anyway. I'm already protecting myself by using kernels from here:
          http://kernel.ubuntu.com/~kernel-ppa...rm-intel-next/

But FWIW, the upgrade went flawlessly. I've done it a few times before so wasn't really worried. Must say the vidiot proofing in GRUB2 came in handy for once. After updating kernel 3.13 and installing kernel 3.16 (as per official procedure, d'oh) GRUB merrily picked kernel 4.0 for the new install. So nothing changed for me kernel-wise.

Code:
          System:    Host: gateway3000 Kernel: 4.0.0-997-generic x86_64 (64 bit gcc: 4.6.3) 
                     Desktop: KDE 4.14.1 (Qt 4.8.6) dm: lightdm Distro: Ubuntu 14.10 utopic 
          CPU:       Dual core Intel Pentium B960 (-MCP-) cache: 2048 KB
                     flags: (lm nx sse sse2 sse3 sse4_1 sse4_2 ssse3) bmips: 8779 
                     Clock Speeds: 1: 896 MHz 2: 812 MHz
          Graphics:  Card: Intel 2nd Generation Core Processor Family Integrated Graphics Controller
                     bus-ID: 00:02.0 chip-ID: 8086:0106
                     Display Server: X.Org 1.16.0 drivers: intel (unloaded: fbdev,vesa) Resolution: 1366x768@60.0hz
                     GLX Renderer: Mesa DRI Intel Sandybridge Mobile GLX Version: 3.0 Mesa 10.3.2 Direct Rendering: Yes
          The Intel driver install changed Mesa DRI to 10.4
          Code:
          Graphics:  Card: Intel 2nd Generation Core Processor Family Integrated Graphics Controller
                     bus-ID: 00:02.0 chip-ID: 8086:0106
                     Display Server: X.Org 1.16.0 drivers: intel (unloaded: fbdev,vesa) Resolution: 1366x768@60.0hz
                     GLX Renderer: Mesa DRI Intel Sandybridge Mobile GLX Version: 3.0 Mesa 10.4.0 Direct Rendering: Yes

Comment

Wouldn't you frickin' know it, two days after I upgrade, Intel releases the latest Linux installer. I'm now tickled pink with my Sandybridge laptop anyway. The ValleyView/BayTrail one not so much, but anywho...

Code:
            GLX Renderer: Mesa DRI Intel Sandybridge Mobile GLX Version: 3.0 Mesa 10.5.1 Direct Rendering: Yes
            That's as bleeding edge as you can get with Intel video.

Comment

Working...
            X