This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Upgrade from 14.04.1 to 14.04.2

I am sure the information that I need is somewhere in these forums or the Kubuntu web site, but I cannot find it. I am running 14.04.1 LTS and would like to upgrade to 14.04.2. I have tried:
    sudo apt-get update and apt-get dist-upgrade
    and
    sudo apt-get update and apt-get upgrade
    but I still have 3.13.0-46-generic.

Since this is a work computer and I will be keeping it for at least a couple of years I am staying with LTS, but I would like the latest I can get.
    "It is not our task to secure the triumph of truth, but merely to fight on its behalf."--Blaise Pascal
    Asus UX303U Laptop: i7-6500U 2.5GHz; 12GB RAM; 3200x1800
    HP Desktop: AMD Ryzen 7 5700G; 16GB RAM; 3840x2160, NVIDIA GeForce RTX 3060​

If you keep up with updates, you are already at 14.04.2

You 3.13.0-46 kernel should be at package version 3.13.0-46.79, and was released on March 9.

You will not see many, if any, major kernel version bumps in Ubuntu LTS versions, by default.

Comment

If you go to System Settings > System Administration > About System you should see something like this that will tell you what version you are at. You may want to be sure that the Kubuntu backports PPA is enabled as well, as it is often required to pull in the latest packages on older releases.

Click image for larger version

Name:	5476783.png
Views:	1
Size:	64.1 KB
ID:	642793
      ​"Keep it between the ditches"
      K*Digest Blog
      K*Digest on Twitter

Comment

Or at Konsole, this may work:

Code:
        mike@mike-desktop:~$ [B]lsb_release -a[/B]
        No LSB modules are available.
        Distributor ID: Ubuntu
        Description:    Ubuntu [COLOR=#ff0000]14.04.2[/COLOR] LTS
        Release:        14.04
        Codename:       trusty
        and this will get you the kernel package version:
        Code:
        mike@mike-desktop:~$ [B]uname -a[/B]
        Linux mike-desktop 3.13.0-46-generic [COLOR=#ff0000]#79[/COLOR]-Ubuntu SMP Tue Mar 10 20:06:50 UTC 2015 x86_64 x86_64 x86_64 GNU/Linux
        An intellectual says a simple thing in a hard way. An artist says a hard thing in a simple way. Charles Bukowski

Comment

Kubuntu-Backports does not have kernels, however. Perhaps you should explain how/why you get newer kernels in Trusty, Dequire
          What are the advantages to adding a 14.10 Utopic kernel and Utopic KDE version to a Trusty 14.04 LTS, instead of simply running Utopic? From the perspective of someone wanting to keep to an LTS system (I have been curious about that)

Comment

Thanks for all your replies. According to the response to "lsb_release -a" I am indeed at 14.04.2. What made me wonder was that I had installed Kubuntu 14.04.2 on another machine and it has 3.16.0-31-generic for a kernel. I just assumed that the upgrade would have that also.
            "It is not our task to secure the triumph of truth, but merely to fight on its behalf."--Blaise Pascal

Comment

Originally posted by claydoh View Post
              Kubuntu-Backports does not have kernels, however. Perhaps you should explain how/why you get newer kernels in Trusty, Dequire
              What are the advantages to adding a 14.10 Utopic kernel and Utopic KDE version to a Trusty 14.04 LTS, instead of simply running Utopic? From the perspective of someone wanting to keep to an LTS system (I have been curious about that)
              Kernel 3.16.0-31-generic comes from the Trusty security repository: http://packages.ubuntu.com/trusty/an...6.0-31-generic

Comment

Originally posted by SteveRiley View Post
                Kernel 3.16.0-31-generic comes from the Trusty security repository: http://packages.ubuntu.com/trusty/an...6.0-31-generic
                Isn't it from the LTS Enablement Stack? ie, not a "stock" (but still supported) kernel?
                Last edited by claydoh; Mar 21, 2015, 07:11 PM. Reason: Correcting a boo boo

Comment

We'd need to see the package name to be sure. Plus, 14.04.2 already ships with a newer kernel.

Comment

Unless one has installed 14.04.2 fresh, you do not automatically get the lts enablement stack.

The 14.04.2 and newer point release will ship with an updated kernel and X stack by default. If you have installed with older media you can use the following to install the newer kernel from 14.10 (Utopic):

DESKTOP

sudo apt-get install --install-recommends linux-generic-lts-utopic xserver-xorg-lts-utopic libgl1-mesa-glx-lts-utopic libegl1-mesa-drivers-lts-utopic
                    Explains why my trusty vm didn't get the newer kernel.
                    Last edited by claydoh; Mar 21, 2015, 12:36 PM.

Comment

All of this gets me to wqondering, if 3.13 is supported for 5 years and 3.16 for 9 months to I really still have a LTS on my 3.16 computer?

Comment

You have LTS. If you had installed a fresh 14.04.2, you would have the "utopic" kernel already. Not sure why, but previous installs require explicitly installing the relevant packages. My guess is that not everyone will automatically want the newer kernels. if they put it in Trusty, it is supported for the full term of it's lifespan.

Comment

Working...
                        X