This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Poor startup

In a few words: I am not pleased with Kubuntu's startup time on my laptop.
    It takes about 40 seconds. I use a 5400 rpm SATA 3GB/s 2.5" HDD - installed as the only OS-. I know it'd get better with a SSD.
    I have proved some distros: Ubuntu, Xubuntu (30-33 sec) and Linux Mint (35-39 sec); but definitely Kubuntu is the best for me in experience. I also had Windows 8.1 with 13-14 seconds mark.

Kubuntu 14.04.2 LTS Trusty Tahr 64 bits.
    KDE: 4.13.3
    Kernel: 3.16
    So, if anyone knows how to improve performance or if it has been solved in newer OS versions, would be of great help, at least hope it to be ameliorated.

Bootcharting ?

BootCharting: https://wiki.ubuntu.com/BootCharting
    Boot charts allow the developers to see how fast a machine is booting and to pinpoint where the bottlenecks are. People interested in helping out can install the bootchart package and report the results on this page...

Comment

Originally posted by jcchg View Post
      Kubuntu's startup time...40 seconds. Ubuntu, Xubuntu (30-33 sec) and Linux Mint (35-39 sec)
      I use a 5400 rpm SATA 3GB/s 2.5" HDD - installed as the only OS-. I know it'd get better with a SSD.
      The difference between 30-33, 35-39, and 40 is not much, really. This is about what I'd expect with 5400 RPM spinning rust.

Windows 8.1 with 15 seconds
      Learn more: Windows 8/8.1 Fast Startup

Comment

Originally posted by SteveRiley View Post
        The difference between 30-33, 35-39, and 40 is not much, really. This is about what I'd expect with 5400 RPM spinning rust.

Learn more: Windows 8/8.1 Fast Startup

Thank you, SteveRiley, and sorry for my ignorance, you're right. Without "fast startup" Win 8.1 takes 39 seconds.

Comment

These are the boot times i am getting with 15.04 on a modestly spected laptop with 8 gigs of RAM ,and a SSD.
          Code:
          gerard@gerard-Satellite-L750:~$ systemd-analyze
          Startup finished in 3.669s (kernel) + 7.407s (userspace) = 11.077s
          Awesome!
          sigpic

Comment

Thank you, SteveRiley, and sorry for my ignorance, you're right. Without "fast startup" Win 8.1 takes 39 seconds.
            No need to apologize. It isn't a well-known feature.

Comment

Working...
            X