Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Sorry incorrect password LightDM pam_unix auth failure after Kubuntu 14.04 update

Collapse
This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Sorry incorrect password LightDM pam_unix auth failure after Kubuntu 14.04 update

Hello,

I just ran updates to 14.04, listed was Cups, Firefox, libc, some other libs, and a new kernel. I rebooted on a new kernel 3.13.0-46-generic. Now, I can log into Console Ctrl-Alt-F1 just fine, but I get a "Sorry incorrect password" error on the GUI login. I know that's not the real problem because the same password works on the Console.

I checked /var/log/authlog and there is a lightdm: pam_unix authentication failure, requirement "user ingroup nopasswdlogin" not met by user "me". An odd error because I AM using a password, why would I need to be in the nopasswdlogin group?

Anyone else having this problem? Any clues how to fix it? I guess I could add myself to that group, but there may be bad security implications if I do... ?

I just got past it with the following steps:

1. Log into Console via Ctrl-Alt-F1, username, password
    2. Enter the following commands at the prompt:
    Code:
    cd
    rm -fr .cache .Xauthority .ICEauthority
    sudo dpkg-reconfigure kubuntu-desktop
    sudo dpkg-reconfigure lightdm
    sudo init 6 #this is a reboot
    Then I was able to log in to lightdm and the GUI.

Hope this helps someone.
    Last edited by HangFire; Mar 03, 2015, 11:25 AM. Reason: additional step that may or may not matter

Comment

Working...
    X