X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Problem to replace Windows 8 by Kubuntu on Acer aspire

Help me please!

I just bought a laptop Acer aspire V11 (500 GB hardrive, 4GB RAM) from a store obviously with Windows 8 installed on it As I'm mainly using Kubuntu i wanted to replace Windows by Kubuntu So i have set the boot order to USB and created a bootable USB with Kubuntu 14.04 iso on it to install When i boot from the USB it look like it is using a EFI mode (black screen with only 3 options.
    At the Disk setup step i have choosen to use all disk available for Kubuntu However once the installation is finished the computer cannot boot with Kubuntu and windows have been completely erased.
    It look like the Kubuntu installation have erased all the partitions and now the computer is not even able to boot on the hard drive
    Should i make a specific partition? Is it something to do with the EFI? Can you help me saving my computer? As i am not a pro of HD formating if i need to create a EFI partition and all other necessary partitions manually Can you explain the procedure with details please?
    Any help will be really appreciated

##edit##
    I have run the Boot-repair tool with the live USB to try to fix my boot problem.
    Here the link of the report http://paste.ubuntu.com/9512595/
    Unfortunately this didn't solve my problem. When i stop the computer, remove the boot USB and restart computer i fall back with a No Bootable Device.
    Hopefully someone can help me with these informations

Here some information:
    In the Bios when i change the boot option UEFI to legacy the problem is still there "PXE-M0F : exiting PXE ROM No bootable device"
    While booting from the live version of my Kubuntu USB i have installed Gparted to have a look how Kubuntu have sliced my HD here the result: partition file system size flags /dev/sda1 FAT32 512 MiB boot /dev/sda2 ext4 235.15 GB /dev/sda4 ext4 226 GB /dev/sda3 linux swap 3.88 GB unallocated

Ok so finally i figured out how to get back a Ubuntu operating bootable
    I have made a new stick with Ubuntu 14.04
    in Bios Boot option i changed to legacy boot for HDD
    Then from the live Ubuntu i started the install option
    and made a home made partition

dev/sda, to use Grub (i think first time i did dev/sda1 that may explain why it was not booting)

Primary partition as Ext4, mount point “/” with all space less 4 GB (my RAM)
    Logical partition as Swap with 4 GB

That's all. so i don't know if it is because of my first partition mistake or if Kubuntu
    have particular issues. Now it is working
    i will keep going with Ubuntu and install the Kubuntu desktop.

Comment

Originally posted by Nerev View Post
      dev/sda, to use Grub (i think first time i did dev/sda1 that may explain why it was not booting)
      that would do it ,,,,,,,, grub should have been on /sda

VINNY
      i7 4core HT 8MB L3 2.9GHz
      16GB RAM
      Nvidia GTX 860M 4GB RAM 1152 cuda cores

Comment

Working...
      X