X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Force Boot to Unity Desktop Enviroment

Hello there

A few weeks ago, I installed Plasma but it wouldn't work due to limitations on my graphics card or monitor. I've been happily booting into Kubuntu 14.04 Unity since then but I must have accidently changed a setting somewhere because my computer is now booting into Plasma and hanging before I get to the desktop. I can't get to Terminal to uninstall Plasma. Because I've set Kubuntu not to request a password, I can't select the option to start booting into Unity so I'm stuck!! Is there a key combination I can press when I boot so that I get the option to select which desktop to boot into.

Many thanks in anticipation.

(Kubuntu doesn't use Unity )
    However, we can get you manually back to Unity, where you can then change the autologin setting (temporarily)
    You should be able to get to a tty terminal, even if things are hanging:
    hit the ctrl-alt-f1 key combo to switch to a tty terminal, then type:
    sudo service lightdm stop to stop the login manager
    then type:
    unity
    I believe this should start Unity desktop.
    Next, go into your settings and turn off auto login temporarily, then logout.
    You should be back at a tty terminal.
    Now, type sudo service lightdm start to start the login manager, where you should be able to select and login to Unity.
    The default behavior for login managers is to log in to the last desktop used, which likely explains why it was trying to log in to Kubuntu's KDE desktop.

(I know there is probably a quick commandline way to do this, but this way is hopefully less cryptic )

Comment

Working...
    X