This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Can't log in to GUI after update

I am running 14.04, so far without any problems at all. However last night I updated using the Muon Update Manager and this morning I cannot log in to the GUI, instead I get a message saying
    Sorry, incorrect password please try again
    I am sure that the password is correct and if I use CTRL-Alt-F1 I can log in to the terminal using the same password. After that if I type
    startx
    the GUI starts and everything looks alright. I can use then most applications, but if I try to do anything needing root privileges, such as synaptic, or sudo or kdesudo I get a message about an incorrect password.

Can anyone help please?

EDIT:

I have established what is happening but not how to fix it.

When I am trying to log into the GUI or using the GUI the keyboard is not sending the correct characters, but when I use CTRL-ALT-F1 to log in the correct characters are sent.

How can I correct this?

EDIT 2

Happy to say that I have now fixed this problem.

The update had removed English(UK) and replaced it with English(US). I can't understand how the password worked with CTRL-ALT-DEL but everything is now ok
    Last edited by dethadol; Oct 15, 2014, 11:22 AM.

Thanks for informing us # is part of your password

Yes strange, I have a similar issue with a computer with UK keyboard.
    In KDE I've set it to US anyway, I'm so used to it I don't even notice the two keys who's markings are different to their action.
    But indeed, during boot it is (correctly) seen as a UK keyboard.

Comment

Working...
    X