This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Can't login anymore after bash-update today

I use the standard Kubuntu encryption which is offered while installation. Worked fine for a couple of month. I update my 14.4 LTS daily and today there were only two packages and one was named 'bash'. Can't remember the other one. I can't login anymore after boot. My password isn't accepted anymore. I can't even get into the recovery mode, because this also ends with a failed login attemp. And yes, my PW is correct.

Any ideas?

Yes.

There is an option to log in as single user and reset the password.
    https://help.ubuntu.com/community/LostPassword

Comment

Thank you for your hint. But I can't do anything. The link you have posted shows me a lot of commands which should be executet in the terminal. I have no access to the terminal.

There are three passwords: The encryption password, my user password and the root password. The first password I have to give is the encryption password. No matter if I boot to the GUI or if I choose the recovery mode - it all ends in 'Enter passphrase'. And my encryption passphrase, which I used for a very long time, isn't accepted anymore since the last standard LTS update, which contained a bash update.
      Also the recovery mode ends with 'Enter passphrase'. How do I execute the commands you linked to, when I can't even get into the recovery mode? And I fear, when my encryption pw isn't accepted, there will be NO WAY to rescue my system (that s the sense of encryption, right?). Seems like Kubuntu once again killed my system completely and definetely. I get tiered of this.

Comment

Normally, in the Kubuntu, when installing the OS, there is only one password set. It is the password of the user account that is created. This user account is also the one that has sudo privileges. The encryption of the user's /home uses the same password. There is no root account set up at all.

I think we are all confused here as you have something custom that is not being put forth clearly. Normally, the user's home dir is decrypted when you enter both your username and password at the login screen . Unless you have set a bios or grub bootloader password yourself this would be the first and only place you'd have to enter a password to log in to your system.

Having a root account enabled, well I won't go into that.

Also, bash is not the shell used during login, so the likelihood of it being the cause here is quite low. Mucking about with root is much more likely a possible culprit.

Comment

If you can run a live disk and run ecryptfs-unwrap-passphrase
          and use your current password this will generate the hash... but are you logging in with that?
          Kubuntu 18.04 on AMD

Comment

Working...
          X