This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Login problem after upgrade

Hi, I upgraded to this version, and everything went smoothly. Well, it would not boot at the reboot. The monitor just went "no signal".

So, I rebooted by the ctrl-alt-del method, and this time I got to the login, although slowly. Then I log in - and nothing happens. Just the blue screen with the "pattern".

So, I tried starting in "safe mode", but nothing there works. It wants to run fscheck, remounting / - but nothing happens.

When I try log in by line mode, I can log in to my account, but neither apt-get update nor startx does work. It seems the file system is locked to "read only".

What to do?

When booting normally before you login to the GUI are you able to ctrl+alt+F1 to access the terminal?

I forget the steps but the recovery has a read only mode and an active mode.
    Kubuntu 18.04 on AMD

Comment

Thank you, otiskit!

Yes ctrl+alt+F1 did take me into the terminal, and there I first tried apt-get update and apt-get upgrade. This did not work, and I was advised dpkg --configure -a.

This went on for a looooong time, but in the end aborted because of to many problems. (The wording might be a little different, I run a Norwegian version.)

Reboot, and after a bit slow booting, I one more time did ctrl+alt+F1, and apt-get update apt-get upgrade. This time this did work, but I was left with error with

mcelog
      slpd
      E: Sub-process /usr/bin/dpkg returned an error code (1)

New reboot (still very slow) made it possible to log into Kubuntu workspace.

There was an error message, but too fast for me to read.
      So, I'm in, but there still are som issues, I assume, involving mcelog and the package slpd.

I don't understand what this is, but the slow loading seems to indicate some more problems?

EDIT:

I have been trying a lot of update/upgrade/dist-upgrade/dpkg things, and all of them ends in something like this:

Setter opp mcelog (100-1fakesync1) ...
      Starting Machine Check Exceptions decoder: invoke-rc.d: initscript mcelog, action "start" failed.
      dpkg: error processing package mcelog (--configure):
      underprosessen installerte post-installation-skript returnerte feilstatus 1
      Setter opp slpd (1.2.1-9) ...
      + [ configure = configure ]
      + dpkg --compare-versions le 1.2.1-7.6
      + echo Reinstalling init script for new priorities ...
      Reinstalling init script for new priorities ...
      + update-rc.d slpd remove
      update-rc.d: /etc/init.d/slpd exists during rc.d purge (use -f to force)
      dpkg: error processing package slpd (--configure):
      Det oppsto feil ved behandling av:
      mcelog
      slpd

There also may be a GRUB problem - I have the new one, but when I start, I first get three lines of:

error file not found

If I wait it will start ok
      Last edited by nilsA; Oct 10, 2014, 12:26 PM.

Comment

'apt-get -f install' and/or 'dpkg --configure --pending' may help these 2 packages giving you issue. Might have to purge then reinstall them.

As far as the slowness... it could indicate a problem. The error file not found delay would lead me to think the boot partition is not showing up quickly in the post operation of the bootup or if you have some onboard raid that does a drive check after post (like I do). As far as narrowing down what it is... it could be the hard drive, the HDD cable, the motherboard, or even the drive port on the motherboard (SATA/IDE).

Side note... if you have an SSD it could be a boot timing issue. I think you would have to use a manufacturer tool to adjust though as far as I know.
        Kubuntu 18.04 on AMD

Comment

Thank you - it seems I need a little help purging. For a long time now, I am only a user of Kubuntu, so I forget things.

That is, I tried the 'apt-get -f install' and/or 'dpkg --configure --pending' - but get more or less the same messagas as above.

As to the grub problem - I have not done anything with the hardware, and it is a dual boot, sharing the same main disk with Win7.

But maybe it is better to fix one thing at a time. I can load Kubuntu, so it is really no big deal, as long as it does not have anything to do with the problem mentioned above.

Comment

To purge just use purge as the action instead of remove:
            sudo apt-get purge slpd
            Kubuntu 18.04 on AMD

Comment

I ran firsts:

sudo apt-get purge slpd

... and got the same error message as listed over.

Then I ran

sudo apt-get purge mcelog

and then the error message now is just for 'slpd'.

[EDIT]

One more detail.

When I try loging out from the desktop, I don't get any stop or restart option, just logout.

Then, at the login screen, I have to log in, line mode, and then ctrl-del-alt to stop the PC (reboot).

Then I ran

'apt-get -f install' 'dpkg --configure --pending'

with just the same result.

So, we probably are one step nearer the solution ...
              Last edited by nilsA; Oct 11, 2014, 04:20 PM.

Comment

what is the exact error you are getting on slpd ,,,,,, if in English it would help ,,,,,but will babelfish if needed.

VINNY
                i7 4core HT 8MB L3 2.9GHz
                16GB RAM
                Nvidia GTX 860M 4GB RAM 1152 cuda cores

Comment

Originally posted by vinnywright View Post
                  what is the exact error you are getting on slpd ,,,,,, if in English it would help ,,,,,but will babelfish if needed.

VINNY
                  When I run

sudo apt-get purge slpd
                  I get this message: My translation in [ ]

[sudo] password for xxxx:
                  Leser pakkelister ... Ferdig [Reading pacakge lists ... done]
                  Skaper oversikt over avhengighetsforhold [Making overview of dependecies}
                  Leser tilstandsinformasjon ... Ferdig [Reading information regarding state]
                  Package 'slpd' is not installed, so not removed. Did you mean 'slpd:i386'?
                  Følgende pakker ble automatisk installert og er ikke lenger påkrevet: [These packages were automatically installed and is no longer necessary:]
                  account-plugin-windows-live aisleriot alien apache2-suexec apache2.2-bin
                  aqbanking-tools argyll arj augeas-doc augeas-lenses augeas-tools baobab blt
                  bridge-utils caribou caribou-antler cgroup-lite db5.1-util dconf-editor
                  dconf-gsettings-backend:i386 dconf-tools debugedit dnet-common ebtables
                  elfutils empathy-common file-roller folks-common fontforge-common
                  fontforge-doc fontforge-extras fonts-cantarell fonts-dejima-mincho
                  fonts-kiloji fonts-unfonts-extra fuseiso gdb-doc:i386 gdbserver:i386 gdebi
                  gdm gedit gedit-common gedit-plugins gir1.2-accountsservice-1.0
                  gir1.2-atspi-2.0 gir1.2-caribou-1.0 gir1.2-colord-1.0 gir1.2-colordgtk-1.0
                  gir1.2-dbusmenu-gtk-0.4 gir1.2-gck-1 gir1.2-gcr-3 gir1.2-gdata-0.0
                  gir1.2-gdesktopenums-3.0 gir1.2-gdm-1.0 gir1.2-gkbd-3.0
                  gir1.2-gnomedesktop-3.0 gir1.2-goa-1.0 gir1.2-gtk-2.0 gir1.2-gtop-2.0
                  gir1.2-gucharmap-2.90 gir1.2-mutter-3.0 gir1.2-networkmanager-1.0
                  gir1.2-nmgtk-1.0 gir1.2-polkit-1.0 gir1.2-rb-3.0 gir1.2-rest-0.7
                  gir1.2-telepathyglib-0.12 gir1.2-telepathylogger-0.2 gir1.2-tracker-0.16
                  gir1.2-upowerglib-1.0 gir1.2-xkl-1.0 gir1.2-zeitgeist-2.0 gir1.2-zpj-0.0 gjs
                  gnome-backgrounds gnome-boxes gnome-calculator gnome-color-manager
                  gnome-contacts gnome-dictionary gnome-disk-utility gnome-documents
                  gnome-font-viewer gnome-games gnome-icon-theme-extras gnome-nettool
                  gnome-online-accounts gnome-online-miners gnome-orca gnome-screenshot
                  gnome-shell gnome-shell-common gnome-shell-extensions gnome-system-log
                  gnome-system-tools gnome-tweak-tool gnucash gnucash-common gnucash-docs
                  gnustep-base-common gnustep-base-doc gnustep-base-runtime gnustep-common
                  gnustep-make gnustep-make-doc gobjc gobjc-4.8 gobjc-4.8-multilib
                  grilo-plugins-0.2 grub-pc-bin gs-common gstreamer0.10-gnomevfs
                  gstreamer0.10-pulseaudio:i386 gstreamer1.0-nice
                  gstreamer1.0-plugins-good:i386 gstreamer1.0-x:i386 gthumb gthumb-data
                  gucharmap guile-2.0 guile-2.0-doc guile-2.0-libs gwenhywfar-tools
                  hamster-applet hamster-indicator heimdal-clients-x heimdal-servers
                  heimdal-servers-x html2text hyperestraier:i386 icedtea-6-plugin
                  kdegraphics-mobipocket ktoblzcheck latex-fonts-thai-tlwg
                  launchpad-integration lib32objc-4.8-dev lib32objc4 lib64asan0:i386
                  lib64atomic1:i386 lib64gcc1:i386 lib64gomp1:i386 lib64itm1:i386
                  lib64quadmath0:i386 libapache2-mod-dnssd libapt-inst1.3 libapt-pkg4.11
                  libaqbanking-data libaqbanking34 libaqbanking34-plugins libaqebics0
                  libaqhbci22 libaqofxconnect7 libasan0:i386 libasan0-dbg:i386 libasm1
                  libatk-adaptor libatk-bridge2.0-0:i386 libatkmm-1.6-1:i386 libatomic1:i386
                  libatomic1-dbg:i386 libatspi2.0-0:i386 libaugeas0 libavahi-ui-gtk3-0
                  libbabl-0.0-0 libblas-dev libblas3gf libboost-date-time1.46.1
                  libboost-iostreams1.46.1 libboost-program-options1.46.1
                  libboost-thread1.46.1 libc6-amd64:i386 libc6-dbg:i386 libc6-dev:i386
                  libc6-dev-amd64:i386 libcache-memcached-perl libcairomm-1.0-1:i386
                  libcanberra-gtk3-0:i386 libcanberra-gtk3-module:i386 libcaribou-common
                  libcaribou-gtk-module libcaribou-gtk3-module libcaribou0 libcdio-cdda0
                  libcdio-paranoia0 libcdio10 libcdt4 libcelt0-0 libcgraph5 libchipcard-data
                  libchipcard-libgwenhywfar60-plugins libchipcard6 libclass-isa-perl
                  libcloog-isl4:i386 libclutter-gst-1.0-0 libcluttergesture-0.0.2-0
                  libcolord-gtk1 libcolord1:i386 libdate-manip-perl libdb5.1 libdbd-mysql
                  libdbd-pgsql libdbd-sqlite3 libdbi1 libdconf1:i386 libdee-1.0-1
                  libdmapsharing-3.0-2 libdnet:i386 libept1 libestraier8:i386 libevent-2.0-5
                  libexpat1-dev:i386 libfarstream-0.2-2 libfcgi0ldbl:i386
                  libffmpegthumbnailer4 libfftw3-dev:i386 libfftw3-double3:i386
                  libfftw3-long3:i386 libfftw3-quad3:i386 libfftw3-single3:i386
                  libfinance-quote-perl libfishsound1:i386 libfolks-eds25 libfolks-telepathy25
                  libfolks25 libfontconfig1-dev:i386 libfontforge1 libfreetype6-dev:i386
                  libgail-common libgcc-4.8-dev:i386 libgcc1-dbg:i386 libgconfmm-2.6-1c2:i386
                  libgcr-3-1 libgd-dev:i386 libgdict-1.0-6 libgdict-common libgdm1 libgdraw4
                  libgdu0 libgegl-0.0-0 libgeoclue0:i386 libglade2-0:i386
                  libglademm-2.4-1c2a:i386 libglibmm-2.4-1c2a:i386 libgmp10:i386
                  libgnujaf-java libgnustep-base-dev libgnustep-base1.24 libgoffice-0.8-8
                  libgoffice-0.8-8-common libgomp1-dbg:i386 libgraph4 libgrilo-0.2-1
                  libgsf-1-114 libgsf-1-common libgstreamer-plugins-good1.0-0:i386
                  libgtk-3-0:i386 libgtk-vnc-2.0-0 libgtkmm-2.4-1c2a:i386 libgtkmm-3.0-1:i386
                  libgupnp-av-1.0-2 libgupnp-dlna-2.0-3 libgvnc-1.0-0 libgvpr1
                  libgwengui-gtk2-0 libgwenhywfar-data libgwenhywfar60 libgwenhywfar60-dbg
                  libharfbuzz-icu0:i386 libhessian-java libhessian-java-doc
                  libhtml-element-extended-perl libhtml-tableextract-perl
                  libhunspell-1.3-0:i386 libicc2 libice-dev:i386 libicu52:i386 libimdi0
                  libisl10:i386 libitm1:i386 libitm1-dbg:i386 libjavascriptcoregtk-3.0-0:i386
                  libjbig-dev:i386 libjpeg-dev:i386 libjpeg-turbo8-dev:i386 libjpeg8-dev:i386
                  libjson-glib-1.0-0:i386 libkdcraw20 libkdegames5a libkms1 libkpathsea5
                  libktoblzcheck1c2a libktorrent3 libkwineffects1abi2 liblapack3gf
                  liblaunchpad-integration-3.0-1 liblaunchpad-integration-common
                  liblcms2-2:i386 liblcms2-utils:i386 liblinear-dev liblinear-tools liblinear1
                  libllvm2.9 liblouis-data liblouis2 liblzma-dev:i386 libmagick++3
                  libmagickcore3 libmagickwand3 libmediaart-1.0-0 libmemcached10 libminiupnpc8
                  libmpc3:i386 libmpdec2:i386 libmpfr4:i386 libmuroar0:i386 libmusicbrainz4c2a
                  libmutter0c libmx-1.0-2 libmx-bin libmx-common libmx4j-java libnatpmp1
                  libnautilus-extension1 libnet-dbus-perl libnetcf1 libnl3 libobjc-4.8-dev
                  libobjc4 libobjc4-dbg libofx4 liboggz2:i386 liboobs-1-5 libopenraw1
                  libopenrawgnome1 libosinfo-1.0-0 libosinfo-bin libpam-systemd:i386
                  libpangomm-1.4-1:i386 libpng12-dev:i386 libpod-plainer-perl libpoppler-glib6
                  libpotrace0 libppl9 libpthread-stubs0 libpthread-stubs0-dev:i386 libpwl5
                  libpython3-stdlib:i386 libpython3.4:i386 libpython3.4-minimal:i386
                  libpython3.4-stdlib:i386 libqdbm14:i386 libqtgstreamer-0.10-0
                  libquadmath0:i386 libquadmath0-dbg:i386 libreoffice-gnome libreoffice-gtk
                  libreoffice-l10n-common librhythmbox-core8 librpm3 librpmbuild3 librpmio3
                  librpmsign1 librygel-core-2.0-1 librygel-renderer-2.0-1
                  librygel-renderer-gst-2.0-1 librygel-server-2.0-1 libsigc++-2.0-0c2a:i386
                  libsm-dev:i386 libsolidcontrol4abi2 libsolidcontrolifaces4abi2
                  libspice-client-glib-2.0-8 libspice-client-gtk-3.0-4 libspiro0
                  libstring-crc32-perl libsvm-tools libswitch-perl libsystemd-login0:i386
                  libtelepathy-farstream3 libtie-ixhash-perl libtiff5-dev:i386 libtiffxx0c2
                  libtiffxx5:i386 libtracker-extract-0.16-0 libtracker-miner-0.16-0
                  libtracker-sparql-0.16-0 libtumbler-1-0 libunicode-map8-perl
                  libunicode-string-perl libuninameslist0 libunity6 libusbredirhost1
                  libvirt-bin libvirt-glib-1.0-0 libvirt0 libvoikko1:i386 libvpx-dev
                  libvpx-dev:i386 libvpx0 libvte-common libvte9 libwayland-client0:i386
                  libwayland-cursor0:i386 libwebkit2gtk-3.0-25 libwmf0.2-7:i386
                  libwmf0.2-7-gtk:i386 libx11-dev:i386 libx264-116 libx32objc-4.8-dev
                  libx32objc4 libxau-dev:i386 libxcb1-dev:i386 libxdmcp-dev:i386
                  libxine1-console libxkbcommon0:i386 libxml-twig-perl libxml-xpathengine-perl
                  libxmlrpc-core-c3 libxmlsec1 libxpm-dev libxpm-dev:i386 libxt-dev:i386
                  libyajl1 libyaml-0-2:i386 libzapojit-0.0-0 linux-headers-3.0.0-12
                  linux-headers-3.0.0-12-generic linux-headers-3.0.0-15
                  linux-headers-3.0.0-15-generic linux-headers-3.2.0-26
                  linux-headers-3.2.0-26-generic linux-headers-3.2.0-36
                  linux-headers-3.2.0-36-generic linux-headers-3.2.0-37
                  linux-headers-3.2.0-37-generic linux-headers-3.2.0-38
                  linux-headers-3.2.0-38-generic linux-headers-3.2.0-39
                  linux-headers-3.2.0-39-generic linux-headers-3.2.0-54
                  linux-headers-3.2.0-54-generic linux-libc-dev:i386 lvm2 lzip lziprecover
                  lzop memcached mew-beta-bin:i386 minissdpd muroard:i386 mutter-common
                  natpmp-utils nmap ofx openbsd-inetd pavucontrol:i386 planner planner-data
                  planner-doc plzip potrace ppthtml:i386 python-appindicator python-beaker
                  python-fontforge python-mako python-mako-doc python-markupsafe
                  python-pyatspi python-pylibmc python-wnck python3-beaker python3-brlapi
                  python3-louis python3-mako python3-markupsafe python3-pyatspi
                  python3-speechd python3-sqlalchemy radvd rdesktop rhythmbox rhythmbox-data
                  rhythmbox-mozilla rhythmbox-plugin-cdrecorder rhythmbox-plugin-zeitgeist
                  rhythmbox-plugins rpm rpm-common rpm-i18n rpm2cpio rygel rygel-mediathek
                  rygel-playbin rygel-preferences rygel-tracker rzip samba-doc seahorse
                  signon-plugin-password simple-scan slpd:i386 sound-juicer
                  spice-client-glib-usb-acl-helper system-tools-backends t1-cyrillic
                  t1-oldslavic t1-teams texlive-doc-en texlive-lang-armenian
                  texlive-lang-croatian texlive-lang-danish texlive-lang-dutch
                  texlive-lang-finnish texlive-lang-hebrew texlive-lang-hungarian
                  texlive-lang-latin texlive-lang-latvian texlive-lang-lithuanian
                  texlive-lang-mongolian texlive-lang-norwegian texlive-lang-swedish
                  texlive-lang-tibetan texlive-lang-vietnamese texpower texpower-examples
                  texpower-manual thailatex thin-provisioning-tools tracker tracker-extract
                  tracker-gui tracker-miner-fs tracker-utils transmission-common
                  transmission-gtk tumbler tumbler-common tumbler-plugins-extra ubufox unace
                  unalz unar unoconv vinagre vino voikko-fi:i386 watershed xdg-user-dirs-gtk
                  xlhtml:i386 xml-twig-tools zlib1g-dev:i386 zoo
                  Use 'apt-get autoremove' to remove them.
                  0 oppgraderte, 0 nylig installerte, 0 å fjerne og 0 ikke oppgradert.
                  1 pakker ikke fullt installert eller fjernet.
                  Etter denne operasjonen vil 0 B ekstra diskplass bli brukt. [After this operation 0 B extra disk space will be used.]
                  Setter opp slpd (1.2.1-9) ... [Setting up slpd (1.2.1-9) ]
                  Det oppsto feil ved behandling av: [There was an error during execution of:]
                  slpd

---- Hope this is what you were asking for?

Comment

You're trying to purge a package that isn't installed:

Package 'slpd' is not installed, so not removed. Did you mean 'slpd:i386'?

As suggested by this statement, do you have slpd:i386 installed instead?
                    Using Kubuntu Linux since March 23, 2007
                    "It is a capital mistake to theorize before one has data." - Sherlock Holmes

Comment

Snowhog (it's been a long time since I needed your advice now) - yes it seems I had 'slpd:i386, so I purged it.

However, when I tried sudo apt-get install slpd, this is what I get:

Leser pakkelister ... Ferdig
                      Skaper oversikt over avhengighetsforhold
                      Leser tilstandsinformasjon ... Ferdig
                      Følgende NYE pakker vil bli installert:
                      slpd
                      0 oppgraderte, 1 nylig installerte, 0 å fjerne og 0 ikke oppgradert.
                      Må hente 67,8 kB med arkiver.
                      Etter denne operasjonen vil 187 kB ekstra diskplass bli brukt.
                      Hent:1 http://no.archive.ubuntu.com/ubuntu/ trusty/universe slpd amd64 1.2.1-9 [67,8 kB]
                      Hentet 67,8 kB på 0s (287 kB/s)
                      Velger den tidligere bortvalgte pakka «slpd».
                      (Leser database ... 1438805 filer og kataloger er for øyeblikket installerte.)
                      Preparing to unpack .../slpd_1.2.1-9_amd64.deb ...
                      Unpacking slpd (1.2.1-9) ...
                      Processing triggers for ureadahead (0.100.0-16) ...
                      ureadahead will be reprofiled on next reboot
                      Processing triggers for man-db (2.6.7.1-1ubuntu1) ...
                      Processing triggers for ureadahead (0.100.0-16) ...
                      Det oppsto feil ved behandling av:
                      slpd

Let me add - I have found two additonal problems:

1. I can only restart by logging out; at the login screen do ctrl-alt-F1, log in by line mode, and the ctrl-alt-del to reboot. Or, I can ctrl-alt-del in a terminal, and the normal options to close down or restart appears.

2. DVDs don't automount, and does not show in Dolphin.

Comment

How have you been performing package updates? With sudo apt-get update or sudo apt-get dist-upgrade?

I would, in your position, run:
                        Code:
                        sudo apt-get update
                        sudo apt-get install -f
                        sudo apt-get update
                        sudo apt-get dist-upgrade

Comment

At the

sudo apt-get install -f

I get one package, but from about that point, this is what I get:

1 pakker ikke fullt installert eller fjernet.
                          Etter denne operasjonen vil 0 B ekstra diskplass bli brukt.
                          underprosessen installerte post-installation-skript returnerte feilstatus 1 [the sub process installed post-installation script returned error status 1]
                          Det oppsto feil ved behandling av: [There was an error during the execution (?) of: ]
                          slpd

The same when I do:

sudo apt-get update
                          sudo apt-get dist-upgrade

Only one line is added after the listing above:

Comment

Look in /etc/init.d for a slpd file. Is there one?

Comment

Yes, there is a slpd file in /etc/init.d

It looks like this:

#! /bin/sh
                              ### BEGIN INIT INFO
                              # Provides: slpd
                              # Required-Start: $remote_fs $syslog
                              # Required-Stop: $remote_fs $syslog
                              # X-Start-Before: slapd
                              # Default-Start: 2 3 4 5
                              # Default-Stop: 0 1 6
                              # Short-Description: script to start/stop the OpenSLP daemon
                              # Description: script to start/stop the OpenSLP daemon
                              ### END INIT INFO

DAEMON=/usr/sbin/slpd
                              NAME=slpd
                              DESC="OpenSLP server"

test -f $DAEMON || exit 0

case "$1" in
                              start)
                              echo -n "Starting $DESC: "
                              start-stop-daemon --start --quiet --pidfile /var/run/$NAME.pid \
                              --exec $DAEMON
                              echo "$NAME."
                              ;;
                              stop)
                              echo -n "Stopping $DESC: "
                              start-stop-daemon --stop --quiet --pidfile /var/run/$NAME.pid \
                              --exec $DAEMON
                              echo "$NAME."
                              ;;
                              reload)
                              echo "Reloading $DESC configuration files."
                              start-stop-daemon --stop --signal 1 --quiet --pidfile \
                              /var/run/$NAME.pid --exec $DAEMON
                              ;;
                              restart|force-reload)
                              echo -n "Restarting $DESC: "
                              start-stop-daemon --stop --quiet --pidfile \
                              sleep 1
                              start-stop-daemon --start --quiet --pidfile \
                              echo "$NAME."
                              ;;
                              *)
                              N=/etc/init.d/$NAME
                              # echo "Usage: $N {start|stop|restart|reload|force-reload}" >&2
                              echo "Usage: $N {start|stop|restart|force-reload}" >&2
                              exit 1
                              ;;
                              esac

exit 0

Comment

Working...
                              X