Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

HDMI connection - Amarok works, but no sound from browser?

Collapse
This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

HDMI connection - Amarok works, but no sound from browser?

This one has me stumped. I have a media PC in the living room that I just installed Kubuntu 14.04.1 - 64 bit on (fully updated as of this morning). I am using the HDMI output of my nVidia video card, and plugging that into my Onkyo home theatre amplifier. The Onkyo HDMI output then goes to my flatscreen TV which serves as the monitor. After some fussing around, I got it all to work. Had to fiddle with the gf108 digital sound device in the Multimedia audio and video settings applet and make sure it was the preferred device, but then it worked -- with Amarok.

However, I get no sound from either Firefox or Chrome when playing videos there.

I know the hardware works, and I know the drivers are in place. How would the audio output from a browser differ from that of Amarok?

In Phonon, all the outputs, music, system, notifications, communication, games, and accessability all have the gf108 as the preferred device. Amarok works, and system sounds (notifications) work too.

Suggestions anyone?

Frank.
    Linux: Powerful, open, elegant. Its all I use.

Have you tried using Veromix widget? From the widget, you can easily send audio feeds to different outputs.

Comment

No, I hadn't. Just loaded it now, tried to open it, and it crashed immediately. It does not appear in my kmenu. It is a graphical application, right?

The notes on the web say to disable kmix. I haven't done that yet.

The product looks good, but how do you use it? Is the crash a conflict with kmix? I am just running out of the house now, so won't have a chance to work on this till later tonight.

Frank.

Comment

allso open a terminal and look at "alsamixer" and see if all the volume controles are up and unmuted .

the PCM one comes to mind .

VINNY
        i7 4core HT 8MB L3 2.9GHz
        16GB RAM
        Nvidia GTX 860M 4GB RAM 1152 cuda cores

Comment

Vinny:

Here is my alsamixer output. Snapshot 1 is the motherboard sound card, which is not in use. The other is the digital sound card, which is being used. As it is digital, I don't understand what Alsamixer is telling me.

Frank.
          Attached Files

Comment

Originally posted by Frank616 View Post
            No, I hadn't. Just loaded it now, tried to open it, and it crashed immediately. It does not appear in my kmenu. It is a graphical application, right?

The notes on the web say to disable kmix. I haven't done that yet.

The product looks good, but how do you use it? Is the crash a conflict with kmix? I am just running out of the house now, so won't have a chance to work on this till later tonight.

Frank.
            Its a widget. Right click on the desktop to unlock widgets then right click again to add a new widget. Drag it from the menu to where ever you want.

Comment

Its a widget
              Right.... You told me that. OK, got it up and running.

From the widget, you can easily send audio feeds to different outputs.
              Sorry I am so dumb about this, but I really have no idea how to do that. What do I need to do to send different audio feeds to different outputs? What feed am I looking for? Where do I even find a list of those feeds?

Thanks for your patience.

Frank.

Comment

The widget should show different audio streams and outputs. If you right click on a stream, a menu comes up. Form there, you can use "Send to" to tell it where to send the stream.

Comment

Hooray! That got it!

I don't know what I did for sure. I did set the gf108 as the default sink, but that didn't work on its own. I then clicked something and the widget now showed Flash player on the list. I sent that to the gf108, and it worked!

So, I still don't know exactly what I did, but it now works!

Thank you!

Frank.

Comment

So, I'm curious. How is it that Amarok worked, and the browser didn't? Even more curious is that Flash is not even installed on that machine. What are these different 'streams'?

Anyone care to give me a primer on this, or point me somewhere on the web that gives an explanation?

Frank.

Comment

Working...
                    X