This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

14.04 in place upgrade on HDMI connected monitor - broken

I have successfully upgraded all my machines to 14.04. Some were new installs, some were 'in-place' upgrades. All were successful.

I have a media PC in the living room. It is recent i5 on an Intel motherboard with an nVidia EVGA GEFORCE GT 630 video card. Neither the motherboard nor the nVidia card have a standard VGA connector.

I had issues with this machine originally in getting the nVidia driver to use the HDMI connected TV for the monitor. It never did display anything until the machine is pretty much fully booted, and the HDMI is switched on. To troubleshoot in the past, I used a flatscreen monitor, and I can connect it to either the DVI-D connector on the motherboard, or one of the DVI connectors on the nVidia card. I can then see the Kubuntu splash screen. The Dell flatscreen monitor I am using for troubleshooting has both DVI and analog (VGA) cables, and I can select the input desired from the monitor. I have it set to DVI-D.

After the upgrade to 14.04 from 12.04, and using the Dell monitor on the motherboard DVI-D port, I could see the splash screen, and the machine came up running mostly right. First thing I did was apply any remaining updates with the update manager, and then used the driver manager to update the nVidia driver to the recommended version (331, I think).

Problem now is that it boots partway, then stops. I can see the Kubuntu splash screen on the Dell DVI monitor, and it boots to the point that the Kubuntu logo brightens and dims about 3 times. Then the display freezes. Nothing shows on the HDMI connected TV other than the 'blue screen of death' in 480p.

I tried pressing the SHIFT key during boot, which IIUC, will give me a GRUB menu and a safe video boot option. I cannot seem to enable that.

Suggestions?

Frank.
    Linux: Powerful, open, elegant. Its all I use.

OK, got an adapter for the DVI port on the nVidia card so that I can use the analog VGA cable on the monitor. Managed to enter the Ubuntu safe mode screen (ESC when at the manufacturer splash screen), and booted in safe mode. Saw all the console output go flying by. Picture attached of where it stopped.

Seems this is a kernel bug, according to this information.

However, not sure what to do now.

Still looking for suggestions.

Author of the bug report says he manually installed an older kernel. Suggestions on how to do that?

Thanks.

Frank.
    Attached Files

Comment

the author allso sead the newer kernel @hear http://kernel.ubuntu.com/~kernel-ppa...15-rc2-trusty/ worked for him .

VINNY
      i7 4core HT 8MB L3 2.9GHz
      16GB RAM
      Nvidia GTX 860M 4GB RAM 1152 cuda cores

Comment

Vinny:

You assume more knowledge than I possess.

What do I need to do to move the the 3.15 kernel? The one I am booting from is 3.13.0-36.

BTW, on the list of rescue options, I have a whole list of 3.2 kernels, from 3.2.0-27-generic through 3.2.0-67-generic. I am curious as to what those belong to.

Frank.

Comment

Actually, Vinny, don't worry about it. I just realized that the install that is broken is an old 32 bit install. I'm moving to 64 bit this time anyway, so I'll just do a fresh install and be done with it.

Thanks for responding.

Frank.

Comment

Originally posted by Frank616 View Post
            Vinny:

You assume more knowledge than I possess.
            oops ,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,

What do I need to do to move the the 3.15 kernel? The one I am booting from is 3.13.0-36.
            if you were going to do this (I see you are not any more) you would just download the kernel header and the kernel image (2 .deb's) matched set for the arc (i386 or amd64)you want,,,, put them in a folder by their self ,,,,open a terminal in that folder,,,, and do
            Code:
            sudo dpkg -i *.deb
            this will install all (both)the .deb's in the folder.

BTW, on the list of rescue options, I have a whole list of 3.2 kernels, from 3.2.0-27-generic through 3.2.0-67-generic. I am curious as to what those belong to.

Frank.
            you should have this list on the main grub screen as well.

what they belong to is you and the system, you can boot to any of them you wish ,,,,,say if something gose wrong with the new one and something wont work right with it you can chose one of the older ones and boot to it.

that is a lot of kernel's,headers,configs,and moduals(drivers)=a lot of space.................. you should keep these down to ,,,,,the one your using and the last one before it (for emergency’s in case something brakes in the running one) .

as new kernels get installed the old one's do NOT get removed ,, the system amin (thats you) has to do it

VINNY
            16GB RAM

Comment

Vinny:

what they belong to is you and the system, you can boot to any of them you wish ,,,,,say if something gose wrong with the new one and something wont work right with it you can chose one of the older ones and boot to it.
              That I understand. What I don't understand is why the 'new' kernel 3.13 is smaller numerically than the 'old' 3.2 kernels. Did something happen to the Linux kernel timeline while I was in Asia this past 6 weeks?

Frank.

Comment

it is not ,,,,,, it is 3.13 the old 3.2 ??

VINNY
                16GB RAM

Comment

Vinny:

it is not ,,,,,, it is 3.13 the old 3.2 ??
                  Sorry, I don't understand. Is not 3.13 the current kernel with 3.15 ready for release? The old entries in my GRUB list are mostly 3.2 kernels. Is not 3.2 supposed to be more recent?

I'm obviously confused.

Frank.

Comment

Is not 3.13 the current kernel with 3.15 ready for release? The old entries in my GRUB list are mostly 3.2 kernels. Is not 3.2 supposed to be more recent?
                    Don't read the number like a decimal. In the way software versions go, 3.10 is newer than 3.9. The current latest kernel is 3.16.3; 3.17 is almost finished. 3.2 is pretty old by now. It was first released in January 2012 and included with Ubuntu 12.04 Precise. It continues to receive maintenance updates but really shouldn't be used by any recent distribution.

Comment

Steve:

Don't read the number like a decimal.
                      Yeah, I wondered about that after I posted to Vinny. NOW I get it.

Frank.

Comment

Working...
                      X