X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Where are all the menues?

Hi
    I have now installed 14.04 and are slowly getting it as a working operating system – provided I can get on various applications the top menu bar back.

ctrl+m does not work, neither does ctrl+M.

Just a small list of the apps without the menu: Firefox, Thunderbird, Amarok, Qupzilla, Quassel, Kaffeine, digikam, the console.

LibreOffice and Gimp are OK.

This is an absolutely no-go. I have a desktop and no laptop or tablet.

Is there a way to change that?

Thanks for any help.
    Last edited by Arran; Sep 03, 2014, 05:59 AM.
    Greetings from Scotland's best holiday island – The Isle of Arran
    I keep fighting for an independent Scotland without any nuclear weapons. If the Englanders want them, they can host them. We do not.

First, run sudo apt-get update && sudo apt-get -f. If that doesn't fix the issue, try reinstalling plasma-desktop and kubuntu-desktop-settings.
    Last edited by Snowhog; Sep 01, 2014, 05:12 PM.
    Using Kubuntu Linux since March 23, 2007
    "It is a capital mistake to theorize before one has data." - Sherlock Holmes

Comment

most KDE apps it is the ctrl+m that hides/unhides the menus ,,,,,,,firefox it's right click an area to the right of a tab then click "menu bar" some of the others ,,,,,,you may half to play around to find out how

VINNY
      i7 4core HT 8MB L3 2.9GHz
      16GB RAM
      Nvidia GTX 860M 4GB RAM 1152 cuda cores

Comment

Thanks a lot.

Was your input in #2 correct? My console returns:

Code:
        Es wurden 1'269 kB in 26 s geholt (48.0 kB/s).                                 
        Paketlisten werden gelesen... Fertig
        E: Befehlszeilenoption »f« [aus -f] ist nicht bekannt. (is not known)
        arran@Arran-14:~$
        And how do I reinstalling the two packages? Sorry, but I have never done that.

We have now past midnight, and I go to bed. So, tomorrow again.
        Last edited by Arran; Sep 01, 2014, 05:26 PM.
        I keep fighting for an independent Scotland without any nuclear weapons. If the Englanders want them, they can host them. We do not.

Comment

I corrected that post. Omitted 'apt-get'.
          Using Kubuntu Linux since March 23, 2007
          "It is a capital mistake to theorize before one has data." - Sherlock Holmes

Comment

For Qt apps, like all the native KDE ones, if you use the QtCurve "Window Decoration" (System settings-> Workspace Appearance), you get a little M in a box on the title bar beside the minimize button:
            Click image for larger version

Name:	snapshot5.png
Views:	1
Size:	9.6 KB
ID:	642438
            In a Konsole you can type ctrl-shift-M, or on the right-click menu there's Show Menubar.

I'm curious as to how you got into this state; no menu bars by default is a Unity thing, I thought.
            Regards, John Little

Comment

Originally posted by jlittle View Post
              For Qt apps, like all the native KDE ones, if you use the QtCurve "Window Decoration" (System settings-> Workspace Appearance), you get a little M in a box on the title bar beside the minimize button:
              [ATTACH=CONFIG]5256[/ATTACH]
              In a Konsole you can type ctrl-shift-M, or on the right-click menu there's Show Menubar.

I'm curious as to how you got into this state; no menu bars by default is a Unity thing, I thought.
              Doesn't work on my machine.

Comment

Hello
                Thanks for all your responses.

The «solution» has been fond by pure chance: I moved the mouse pointer at the top middle edge of the screen and suddenly a menue appeared. So at least, I can get at them, but it is absolutely unsatisfactory. My monitor has a size of 2600 x 1600 pixels, so I do not need to be critically with an extra bar, especially not with the menu bar. I will once I am with 104.04 check your suggestions, at the moment I have work to do and for that I still use 13.10. Hopefully by End of Week that will be ended.

Comment

Originally posted by Arran View Post
                  The «solution» has been fond by pure chance: I moved the mouse pointer at the top middle edge of the screen and suddenly a menue appeared. So at least, I can get at them, but it is absolutely unsatisfactory. My monitor has a size of 2600 x 1600 pixels, so I do not need to be critically with an extra bar, especially not with the menu bar. I will once I am with 104.04 check your suggestions, at the moment I have work to do and for that I still use 13.10. Hopefully by End of Week that will be ended.
                  You seem to be using the menubar plasma widget on an auto-hidden top panel. The widget plucks the menus from apps and shows it on the panel (mac style). That shouldn't be the default in kubuntu, though (IIRC), so how you have gotten to that is a mystery to me.

Comment

Try changing the style setting... sounds like you have it set to top menu bar.

System settings, Application Appearance, Style, Fine Tuning tab, Menubar Style.
                    Can be set to: In application, top menu bar, etc...
                    Kubuntu 18.04 on AMD

Comment

Thanks to all, I now have changed the questionable setting. It was the response from «otisklt», #10, who made the day lasting for years ...
                      Last edited by Arran; Sep 03, 2014, 06:00 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by Arran View Post
                        Thanks to all, I now have changed the questionable setting. It was the response from «otisklt», #10, who made the day lasting for years ...
                        Ah, so there is a setting for it (I don't have plasma-widget-menubar installed, so I don't have that particular setting...but it's good to know it's there, if you do )

Comment

Working...
                        X