This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Kubuntu doesn't boot into desktop after updating from 13.10 to 14.04

I'm running dual boot windows 7 and Kubuntu. Today after I run the update manager in Kubuntu to update from 13.10 to 14.04, Kubuntu doesn't boot into the desktop anymore. In the boot menu, all options now show Ubuntu instead of Kubuntu. The only way I can get to the Kubuntu desktop now is to choose the option "Ubuntu with Linux 3.15.xx (recovery mode)", then choose "enable network", and press Ctrl+C.
    Please tell me how to fix this. Thank you very much.

Have you tried to boot into 'Ubuntu'?
    Because the text 'Ubuntu' in Grub is the typical standard, even for Kubuntu.

Comment

Thanks for reply. I found the problem. It seems to be caused by the ATI graphics driver not installed correctly. I removed the proprietary driver and can Kubuntu can boot into desktop now.

Comment

I have the same problem after upgrade from 12.04. It doesn't display lightdm. I think it just doesn't start xserver, because when I press Ctrl+Alt+F1 and type startx it shows some error connected to nvidia. This happens when I install driviers 304 or 331. When I purge nvidia it shows login view (lighdm).

Comment

when you have a vid driver installed you should allso install "dkms"
          vinny@vinnys-HP-G62:~$ apt show dkms
          Package: dkms
          Priority: optional
          Section: admin
          Installed-Size: 349 kB
          Maintainer: Ubuntu Developers <ubuntu-devel-discuss@lists.ubuntu.com>
          Original-Maintainer: Dynamic Kernel Modules Support Team <pkg-dkms-maint@lists.alioth.debian.org>
          Version: 2.2.0.3-1.1ubuntu5
          Depends: module-init-tools, gcc, make | build-essential | dpkg-dev, coreutils (>= 7.4), patch
          Recommends: fakeroot, menu | sudo
          Suggests: dpkg-dev, debhelper
          Download-Size: 64.4 kB
          Homepage: http://linux.dell.com/dkms
          Bugs: https://bugs.launchpad.net/ubuntu/+filebug
          Origin: Ubuntu
          Supported: 5y
          APT-Manual-Installed: no
          APT-Sources: http://us.archive.ubuntu.com/ubuntu/ trusty/main amd64 Packages
          Description: Dynamic Kernel Module Support Framework
          DKMS is a framework designed to allow individual kernel modules to be upgraded
          without changing the whole kernel. It is also very easy to rebuild modules as
          you upgrade kernels.
          most of the time this can save you from having to reinstall the driver(and losing your graphics) when you get a kernel upgrade .

VINNY
          i7 4core HT 8MB L3 2.9GHz
          16GB RAM
          Nvidia GTX 860M 4GB RAM 1152 cuda cores

Comment

In terms of problems like this with these upgrades note that you are making several kernel version number jumps...
            The video drivers may not be that flexible. However a uninstall/reinstall of the video driver seems to sort it most of the time.

Good to know about the dkms and I just remembered the most recent version of the AMD proprietary drivers (14.9) had me install that package as well so I guess it will be more flexible now.
            Last edited by otisklt; Oct 12, 2014, 08:59 PM.
            Kubuntu 18.04 on AMD

Comment

Working...
            X