This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Failed Upgrade from 12.04.4 to 14.04.1 - Twice

Both upgrade tries worked - or appeared to. Post-upgrade, and after adding some desired packages, I selected to Re-Boot option from the Leave menu. Each resulted in a kernel panic. Each subsequent manual shutdown (power button) resulted in the Grub menu being displayed. Upon selecting the defaulted Ubuntu option, nothing happened. And I mean nothing but a blank screen.

Barring some ideas of how to progress, I'll wait until the next upgrade to 14.04.2 - if there is one. I really like Kubuntu and have no insurmountable problems before with any upgrade - problems, yes, insurmountable, no - until this one, so I don't want to give up for some other distro.

Any ideas are greatly appreciated.
    The next brick house on the left
    Intel i7 11th Gen | 16GB | 1TB | KDE Plasma 5.27.11​| Kubuntu 24.04 | 6.8.0-31-generic

without some kind of errors we cant help you so much.. normally you should only have to do

try "do-release-upgrade " in a terminal it will give you more output when upgrading then the GUI tool.

or if you have a seperate /home partition you can reinstall with 14.04 on your / and keep you /home for the new install.
    Mark Your Solved Issues [SOLVED]
    (top of thread: thread tools)

Comment

The upgrade itself went well - both times, and yes my /home partition survived, and /root was visible from both the GUI and command line. I was able to do actual work such as installing packages, explore the interwebs, configure Firefox, setup Thunderbird/Lightning. All was well, or seemed so, until I selected the Reboot option from the Leave menu.

No error code, per se, just the kernel panic.
      Intel i7 11th Gen | 16GB | 1TB | KDE Plasma 5.27.11​| Kubuntu 24.04 | 6.8.0-31-generic

Comment

Do you still have another Kernel available and if so, have you tried logging it with it?

Comment

Thank you, Teunis. Since I dropped back to Precise, and resolved a problem that I had after falling back, I have not tried to upgrade again toTrusty. I'll be doing some more research to figure out if anyone else has had a kernel panic when using the GUI Reboot option. I'm sure there's a way to get back to Trusty - just need to find it.

I've never had any previous problems using the upgrade vs. clean install route over the past several new releases. I'll be back.

Comment

Working...
          X