Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Text size when you switch between monitors.

Collapse
This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Text size when you switch between monitors.

Hello:

I've a netbook connected to a projector with a HDMI cable. It's an ASUS eeePC 1015PN, which is equipped with nVidia ION. I've installed the official drivers from nVidia.

Whenever I switch from the computer monitor to the projector, the text size in KDE and LightDM turns very very very small. So much, that I'm unable to read anything. However, if I mirror the screen or combine they both (extending the desktop), the proportion of the text is kept. So it only happens when I turn off the netbook screen completely and turn on the projector only.

I've tested the same machine with Xubuntu 14.04 (XFCE) and Linux Mint 17 Mate, and I've not had any problem. Furthermore, this is a problem that I've been suffering since many versions ago in Kubuntu (I can't remember if I also experienced this in Linux Mint KDE by the way). But I believe that it's something specific of KDE or Kubuntu at least.

Does anyone know how to solve this?

Thank you.

Don't know whether it'll work, but you could try forcing font DPI in SystemSettings>ApplicationAppearance>Fonts. Try forcing font DPI of 96 or 120 (two common values). You may have to change font sizes afterwards if they show too small or large.

Comment

Originally posted by kubicle View Post
      Don't know whether it'll work, but you could try forcing font DPI in SystemSettings>ApplicationAppearance>Fonts. Try forcing font DPI of 96 or 120 (two common values). You may have to change font sizes afterwards if they show too small or large.
      Hello:

Sorry for the delay. Effectively you were right . I don't know why, but the nVidia X Server Settings showed a default DPI of 30 × 30 :S . Just before reading your answer I found this post: http://ubuntuforums.org/showthread.php?t=2150662 . Instead of setting the DPI in KDE, it sets it in the X11 configuration file. The effect is exactly the same, but it also helps the LightDM login screen to show the right font size.

Anyway, your solution works too! Thank you for your help .

Comment

Thanks for that! The thread linked in the other forum is now closed, so I could not thank the original poster. So, I'll thank you instead!

This has been an annoyance for me for a long time. I managed to enlarge most of the KDE fonts, in the font applet, but couldn't get the menu fonts any larger no matter what I did.

I too am using HDMI with nVidia driver on my media PC in the living room, using a flat screen TV for the monitor.

Frank.
        Linux: Powerful, open, elegant. Its all I use.

Comment

Working...
        X