Collapse
This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I was thinking more in terms of a desktop there... as far as a power supply. Sorry a bit misleading.
    However to further test the board try all the ports one at a time, then multiple ports at a time.
    Different devices if possible as in: ones that use an additional power plug vs not.

Also while this can make it worse or completely finish the problem if you will... sometimes picking it up and bending a corner slightly may give additional indication if you see odd behaviors when "gently bending". Please use caution with this suggestion.
    Kubuntu 18.04 on AMD

Comment

Hi,

I am experiencing the same problems. After upgrading from 12.04 which worked perfect for me, 14.04, screen freezes and no reaction to input (mouse or keyborad). Sometimes the systems goes to new login screen, sometimes the systems hangs completely. This happens irregularly without any connection to resources demanding processes. Login from a other machine via ssh is still possible, but the original login-process seems to have been killed.

I'm using an older Fujitsi Siemes Lifebook with 8 GB RAM and a 256GB SSD.
      The system is a Linux 3.2.0-29-generic-pae #46-Ubuntu on a i686 machine.

Comment

I just inspected the systemlog after the last crash. These should be the last entries before I pushed the power-button. Any idea where it comes from?

01.10.2014 16:26:13 * acpid client 1296[0:0] has disconnected
        01.10.2014 16:26:13 * acpid client connected from 4310[0:0]
        01.10.2014 16:26:13 * acpid 1 client rule loaded
        01.10.2014 16:26:13 * kernel [20248.491415] [drm:i915_gem_execbuffer2] *ERROR* copy 1 exec entries failed 56
        01.10.2014 16:26:13 * kernel [20248.542155] soffice.bin[4198]: segfault at 4f364820 ip b43be090 sp bfb8ba50 error 4 in libc-2.19.so[b438b000+1a9000]
        01.10.2014 16:26:13 * bluetoothd[549] Endpoint unregistered: sender=:1.47 path=/MediaEndpoint/HFPAG
        01.10.2014 16:26:13 * bluetoothd[549] Endpoint unregistered: sender=:1.47 path=/MediaEndpoint/HFPHS
        01.10.2014 16:26:13 * bluetoothd[549] Endpoint unregistered: sender=:1.47 path=/MediaEndpoint/A2DPSource
        01.10.2014 16:26:13 * bluetoothd[549] Endpoint unregistered: sender=:1.47 path=/MediaEndpoint/A2DPSink
        01.10.2014 16:26:14 * colord Automatic remove of icc-ab5a2fec685608b78b97c35ca144bad3 from xrandr-E24W-1SD-YE5V000244
        01.10.2014 16:26:14 * colord Profile removed: icc-ab5a2fec685608b78b97c35ca144bad3
        01.10.2014 16:26:14 * colord device removed: xrandr-LVDS1
        01.10.2014 16:26:14 * colord device removed: xrandr-E24W-1SD-YE5V000244
        01.10.2014 16:26:35 * rsyslogd [origin software="rsyslogd" swVersion="7.4.4" x-pid="658" x-info="http://www.rsyslog.com"] exiting on signal 15.

Comment

After re-reading all the posts and problems I would be surprised if it turned out to be a hardware problem, especially since 12.04 ran nicely without problems and the problems began with the installation of 14.04. It suggests a couple of things.

First, the original install of 14.04 was from a defective ISO file or burned CD. This would suggest a fresh dl of the latest ISO (to avoid unnecessary updates), verification of both the ISO and the CD or USB stick that it is burned onto, and then a fresh install.

Or, secondly, the "drm:i915_gem_execbuffer2" suggests that you are having kernel a/o kernel object problems, i.e, i915 video driver problems. Are you using nouveau? Have you tried reverting to a previous kernel a/o i915 ko?
          Last edited by GreyGeek; Oct 01, 2014, 10:26 AM.
          "A nation that is afraid to let its people judge the truth and falsehood in an open market is a nation that is afraid of its people.”
          – John F. Kennedy, February 26, 1962.

Comment

Originally posted by GreyGeek View Post
            After re-reading all the posts and problems I would be surprised if it turned out to be a hardware problem, especially since 12.04 ran nicely without problems and the problems began with the installation of 14.04. It suggests a couple of things.

First, the original install of 14.04 was from a defective ISO file or burned CD. This would suggest a fresh dl of the latest ISO (to avoid unnecessary updates), verification of both the ISO and the CD or USB stick that it is burned onto, and then a fresh install.

Or, secondly, the "drm:i915_gem_execbuffer2" suggests that you are having kernel a/o kernel object problems, i.e, i915 video driver problems. Are you using nouveau? Have you tried reverting to a previous kernel a/o i915 ko?
            Hi, thanks for your suggestions. It's a GM965 gpu and I'm using the

/lib/modules/3.2.0-29-generic-pae/kernel/drivers/gpu/drm/i915/i915.ko

I'm trying now to use "uxa" acceleration in the /etc/X11/xorg.conf according http://wiki.ubuntuusers.de/Grafikkarten/Intel (German site).

Will see if it helps.

Comment

Originally posted by thomas-r View Post

I'm trying now to use "uxa" acceleration in the /etc/X11/xorg.conf according http://wiki.ubuntuusers.de/Grafikkarten/Intel (German site).

Will see if it helps.
              I use the same driver, i915, and shortly after I installed 14.04 I had to switch to "UXA" to smooth out my video performance. I was having tearing, blockiness and other problems, including the occasional hang or crash.
              "A nation that is afraid to let its people judge the truth and falsehood in an open market is a nation that is afraid of its people.”

Comment

I was convinced that it is a hardware issue when I experienced a crash while running from the live disk. But now that you mention it I was running from the same disk that I used to install from, so....

The parts for my new computer are arriving in the next couple days. I may have been able to make this one last a bit longer by following your suggestions, but it is a pretty old system. I will be sure to burn a new live disk before I install on the new device.

Comment

Hello, after one week without a crash I would identify the new graphics acceleration as the reason for the problems. For me the change to the older "UXA" helped.

Comment

Hello, after one week without a crash I would identify the new graphics acceleration as the reason for the problems. For me the change to the older "UXA" helped.
                    Could you elaborate on this change?
                    Thanks!

Comment

Originally posted by marco07 View Post
                      Could you elaborate on this change?
                      Thanks!
                      In /etc/X11 I put a file

xorg.conf

with the following content:

Section "Device"
                      Identifier "Intel Graphics"
                      Driver "intel"
                      Option "AccelMethod" "uxa"
                      EndSection

Comment

Hm. I thought problems with SNA were fixed a couple years ago?

Comment

In /etc/X11 I put a file

xorg.conf

with the following content:

Section "Device"
                          Identifier "Intel Graphics"
                          Driver "intel"
                          Option "AccelMethod" "uxa"
                          EndSection
                          Well, in my Thinkpad t540p, I do have an xorg.conf file already. The file includes listings for both intel and nvidia and "SNA" is set as default in the intel stanza. I feel somewhat apprehensive to change that to "UXA" lest to mess up the system. Although I still experince the random freezing of the trackpoint pointer which occurs most frequently when playing card game in Aiselriot (quite color graphic),for now, I have decided not to play card games during my idle times.
                          I have taken a note of your solution and may try it later if the situation becomes unbearable.
                          Thanks for your posting!

Comment

Originally posted by SteveRiley View Post
                            Hm. I thought problems with SNA were fixed a couple years ago?
                            Nope. I had to create /etc/X11/xorg.conf and add that section on March 10, 2014. Before that I was getting tearing and blockiness with GoogleEarth and Stellarium. UXA fixed it. I have an Intel HD3000 primary graphic chip run by Nouveau (i915), and a secondary GeForce GT 650M chip which can only be accessed by Bumblebee's optimus. I never use the NVidia because my primary chip gives me 40-60fps, depending on the app. And, optimus never works on half of the graphic apps I've tried it on. My Acer V3-771G doesn't allow me in the BIOS to select the NVidia as the bootable graphic chip.

Comment

Working...
                            X