This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Where are certain login options?

On my 14.04 laptop, there's only one login-related option, i.e., System Settings | Login Screen (LightDM), and its choices are very, very limited. On my other computers, there's also System Settings | Login Screen, which has a whole bunch of options, including "Convenience."

Did something fail to install on the new one? If so, what is it? I've searched through Synaptic looking for anything that seemed likely, but came up empty.
    Xenix/UNIX user since 1985 | Linux user since 1991 | Was registered Linux user #163544

Appears that your laptop has LightDM and your other computers have KDM. KDM is more robust and has more options than LightDM. When LightDM came on the scene, it uninstalled KDM in preference for itself.
    Using Kubuntu Linux since March 23, 2007
    "It is a capital mistake to theorize before one has data." - Sherlock Holmes

Comment

The other computers have BOTH choices under System Settings, i.e., Login Screen AND Login Screen [LightDM].

PS I can't check the new laptop right now--company is literally walking in the front door!
      Xenix/UNIX user since 1985 | Linux user since 1991 | Was registered Linux user #163544

Comment

Originally posted by Snowhog View Post
        When LightDM came on the scene, it uninstalled KDM in preference for itself.
        It doesn't uninstall kdm (both can be installed on a machine). Only one of them can of course be set as the default display manager.

Comment

You're right, Snowhog. My company just left and I ran back inside to see what was up--KDM was missing. I never noticed during installation that I wasn't prompted for the DM of my choice to be set as default. Everything's good now!

Comment

That's why I said "When LightDM came on the scene, it uninstalled KDM in preference for itself.", which contrary to kubicle's comment, "was true" (at least) in the beginning. LightDM did in fact uninstall KDM 'after' it installed itself.
            Using Kubuntu Linux since March 23, 2007
            "It is a capital mistake to theorize before one has data." - Sherlock Holmes

Comment

Originally posted by Snowhog View Post
              That's why I said "When LightDM came on the scene, it uninstalled KDM in preference for itself.", which contrary to kubicle's comment, "was true" (at least) in the beginning. LightDM did in fact uninstall KDM 'after' it installed itself.
              But not on my other computers. *shrug* However, none of those started with a wiped drive and a clean installation of 14.04; in fact, they're all still running older versions of K.

Comment

Originally posted by DoYouKubuntu View Post
                But not on my other computers. *shrug* However, none of those started with a wiped drive and a clean installation of 14.04; in fact, they're all still running older versions of K.
                Since lightdm is the new default of kubuntu, only it is installed on new installations. Your other machines were probably installed with older versions (when kdm was default), and lightdm has been installed on them at some point during a release upgrade (to a version that has lightdm as the default)...the kubuntu-desktop metapackage used to depend on kdm, but it depends on lightdm now.

Comment

Working...
                X