This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

14.04 is bqd

14.04 is extremely sluggish and slows the computer way down, can anyone tell me how to fix it, if not I will go back to 12.04 Thanks

More info would be helpful.

Does top show if anything is hogging cpu?

Comment

Bet ya your indexing is slowing things down. Reduce your indexing to just your home account or subdirectories in it, or turn it off and install mlocate and use "updatedb" and "locate" in a console, along with grep and find.
      "A nation that is afraid to let its people judge the truth and falsehood in an open market is a nation that is afraid of its people.”
      – John F. Kennedy, February 26, 1962.

Comment

Originally posted by 1richard View Post
        14.04 is extremely sluggish and slows the computer way down, can anyone tell me how to fix it, if not I will go back to 12.04 Thanks
        More info, please. What kind of computer is it? How did you upgrade? Did you go straight from 12.04 to 14.04? Did you step through version upgrades? How is your hard drive partitioned? How big is the drive, and how much free space is there? Etc.!
        Xenix/UNIX user since 1985 | Linux user since 1991 | Was registered Linux user #163544

Comment

never had any issues such as what you describe, on multiple installs here for 14.4 both 32 and 64.

if somehting is slowing your pc down you should be able to work out what it is, as the list of possibilities is too long to guess
          K 14.4 64 AMD 955be3200MHz 8GB 1866Mhz 6TB Plex/samba.etc.+ Macbook Air 13".

Comment

Dittos
            "A nation that is afraid to let its people judge the truth and falsehood in an open market is a nation that is afraid of its people.”
            – John F. Kennedy, February 26, 1962.

Comment

I always start by turning off Desktop Indexing in System Settings. I know - some people love that feature. I have no use for nepomuk or baloo or whatever it's called today. Turning it off should help some, and you can always turn it back on. Open a konsole and run top to see if anything is sucking up CPU or memory
              The next brick house on the left
              Intel i7 11th Gen | 16GB | 1TB | KDE Plasma 5.27.11​| Kubuntu 24.04 | 6.8.0-31-generic

Comment

Working...
              X