Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Trusty installs beautifully on 10 year old laptop!

Collapse
This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Of course if you want a lightweight window manager with eye candy try Enlightenment (E17, E18, E19). Bodhi Linux is probably the best distro for with Enlightenment that I know of (in my opinion) and uses Ubuntu

Now that you've tried Crunchbang (with Openbox) your next mission (should you choose to accept it) is Archbang

Comment

Originally posted by NickStone View Post
      Of course if you want a lightweight window manager with eye candy try Enlightenment (E17, E18, E19). Bodhi Linux is probably the best distro for with Enlightenment that I know of (in my opinion) and uses Ubuntu
      I tried E17 several years ago. it was ... OK, but nothing to leave KDE for. And, my personal machine has never been a light weight would would benefit from a light desktop. I'm addicted to the power of KDE.

Now that you've tried Crunchbang (with Openbox) your next mission (should you choose to accept it) is Archbang
      After a five minute wait my laptop didn't start smoking and burst into flames, so I suspect you forgot to add that feature to your "if you should accept" message!

If Archbang is a lightweight desktop I may give it a whirl to see how it runs on that 12 yr old Gateway.
      "A nation that is afraid to let its people judge the truth and falsehood in an open market is a nation that is afraid of its people.”
      – John F. Kennedy, February 26, 1962.

Comment

Originally posted by GreyGeek View Post
        If Archbang is a lightweight desktop I may give it a whirl to see how it runs on that 12 yr old Gateway.
        By default, Archbang uses Openbox as its desktop but is very minimal. I downloaded a copy only yesterday and booted up the live disk only to find that apart from Openbox it had a terminal emulator and web browser (but not Firefox or Chromium) and a utility to set up your wi-fi (so you can connect and download more software). I may install it on my laptop in the near future.

I also want to install proper Arch sometime in the future as I've never had that pleasure yet, but I do know that to install Arch you need a wired connection to the net in order to download and install all the software. From what I understand Arch does not supply a wi-fi utilty to set up wi-fi from the beginning, it's something you need to install and set up later in the installation.

Comment

I also want to install proper Arch sometime in the future as I've never had that pleasure yet, but I do know that to install Arch you need a wired connection to the net in order to download and install all the software. From what I understand Arch does not supply a wi-fi utilty to set up wi-fi from the beginning, it's something you need to install and set up later in the installation.
          https://wiki.archlinux.org/index.php...Guide#Wireless

The Arch documentation is very good. The best I've seen since using the FreeBSD Handbook back in my server admin days.

Comment

Originally posted by ronw View Post
            https://wiki.archlinux.org/index.php...Guide#Wireless

The Arch documentation is very good. The best I've seen since using the FreeBSD Handbook back in my server admin days.
            Thank you, I was aware of the Arch wiki and when/if I install Arch I will be reading from the wiki to do it.

Comment

>>One BIG don't do: run two or more apps at the same time

lol!
              K 14.4 64 AMD 955be3200MHz 8GB 1866Mhz 6TB Plex/samba.etc.+ Macbook Air 13".

Comment

I put Kubuntu 14.04 onto the 10 year old Gateway m675 laptop. It ran Minecraft 1.7.10, via its launcher, just fine. In fact, faster than Minecraft on the 2010 Sony VAIO laptop I gave to my grandson a couple years ago. However, running "Attack of The BTeam" repeatedly failed trying to install the tropical mod. So, I ordered a 2GB memory upgrade for it. We'll see how it goes.
                "A nation that is afraid to let its people judge the truth and falsehood in an open market is a nation that is afraid of its people.”
                – John F. Kennedy, February 26, 1962.

Comment

Working...
                X