Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Trusty Tahr installation is locking up every day after latest ujpgrades.

Collapse
This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Trusty Tahr installation is locking up every day after latest ujpgrades.

There is no particular program or process that I can determine is running when it locks up.
    In fact, I can have the desktop running and leave it to run the screen saver and it will lock sometime
    later. When I say lock up I mean "brain dead", not locked up as in screen lock after timeout.
    Mouse will work, but nothing else. Not ALT-F2, nothing. I have to soft reset using the computer's
    red button. Sometimes it will occur more than once a day. Did MS have anything to do with it?
    I have computer and software info on my profile.
    Thank you!

Because you observed a link between a recent update and the problem I have to ask if you've tried another update?
    It's not unheard to get a partial update that causes issues and a subsequent update fixes them again.

As a PS, doing the update/upgrade from a terminal gives best feedback, type:
    Code:
    sudo apt-get update
    hit enter an once done type:
    Code:
    sudo apt-get dist-upgrade
    hit enter.

If there are any updates available you get the option to download and install them, follow the text.
    Last edited by Teunis; Jul 06, 2014, 08:50 AM.

Comment

In addition to what Teunis said, if his suggestion doesn't work, you can reinstall the kubuntu desktop

sudo apt-get --reinstall install kubuntu-desktop
      "A nation that is afraid to let its people judge the truth and falsehood in an open market is a nation that is afraid of its people.”
      – John F. Kennedy, February 26, 1962.

Comment

Thanks for your suggestions!
        I have given both a shot to see what happens and will let you know if the problem persists.

Comment

The problem is not fixed and seems more random than ever. I do know that usually I have both Thunderbird and Firefox running at the same time quite often when it hangs up, but not always. This morning for example, I found the screensaver locked up and it was the only program running. I ended doing a red button reset.
          I really would like to know what is causing this consistent lockup.
          Thank you!

Comment

Do you have Nouveau , or Nvidia propietary drivers? If card is Nvidia.
            Have you tried memtest?
            Is your free memory amount dimishing before lock up?
            Is computer or display card warming up before lockup?
            See here 1st.https://www.kubuntuforums.net/showth...Qs-amp-Answers

Comment

Cmon Tommy, be here
              See here 1st.https://www.kubuntuforums.net/showth...Qs-amp-Answers

Comment

Working...
              X