X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Odd Dependency Behaviour with 14.04

Hello,

Never had this problem in 12.04 LTS, but I'm noticing problems when attempting to install .deb packages. QApt fires up, but fails to resolve required dependencies and just quits with a fail message. How can I change that so dependencies are identified, downloaded and installed? Examples are google-earth-stable_current_amd64.deb and crossover_13.1.3-1.deb

TIA,

James

For Google Earth, use the 32 bit package, as the multiarch integration has been completed. In 12.04, there was a need for special packaging to install google earth and other 32-bit only binaries in Kubuntu. Specifically, the ia32-libs. This package no longer exists in 14.04 as it is not needed. The 32 bit package will install just fine.\

I will guess that Crossover is the same.

Comment

Does this mean I should favor 32-bit packages?

Comment

No, just for those oddball ones that really are 32 bit only and come from outside the repos. There are very few of these. Skype and Google earth are the big ones

Sent from my Verizon HTC Droid DNA Android smartphone running ViperRom Kit Kat, using Tapatalk, like that really matters

Comment

That's interesting you mention Skype.... I noticed apt-get doesn't have a problem satisfying dependencies.

Comment

that is likely because they (finally) fixed their packaging. It would give dep errors if you used the "64-bit" package.

Comment

Working...
            X