X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Kmail documentation missing/inaccessible

Hi,

Installed 14.04 clean off a usb, but the kmail documentation is inaccessible with this message:

edit - i'd love to show you the message, but the forum software won't let me. See next post.
    Best wishes,
    Tom

Here's the error message:

> Could not find filename intro.html in file:///usr/share/doc/kde/HTML/en//kmail/intro.html.

Noticed the 3 and 2 slashes - perhaps this is the problem. There is no intro.html there, but there is a intro.docbook. How do I fix this path? Thanks!
    Best wishes,
    Tom

Comment

Have you rebooted since the installation from the USB?
      Using Kubuntu Linux since March 23, 2007
      "It is a capital mistake to theorize before one has data." - Sherlock Holmes

Comment

Yes, I've been using the system for a couple of weeks.
        Best wishes,
        Tom

Comment

What keyboard layout are you using:

K Menu > System Settings > Input Devices > Keyboard > Keyboard model

and

K Menu > System Settings > Input Devices > Keyboard > Layouts > Configure layouts

Comment

Generic 101-key PC keyboard English (US).

Also, can't find documentation to download with apt search, or explanantion for getting online documentation onto my system.
            Last edited by Tom Troughton; May 25, 2014, 08:12 AM. Reason: speling (heh)
            Best wishes,
            Tom

Comment

Your newly installed system 'might' not be fully updated. Open a console and type:
              Code:
              sudo apt-get update
              sudo apt-get dist-upgrade

Comment

No joy.

Thanks for taking the time to make these suggestions.
                Best wishes,
                Tom

Comment

Originally posted by Tom Troughton
                  Noticed the 3 and 2 slashes - perhaps this is the problem
                  In general, unix paths may have extra slashes; f.ex. "//x//y//z" means the same as "/x/y/z".

Regards, John Little
                  Regards, John Little

Comment

Good to know - thank you. Found out the first two slashes separate the file protocol from the path, which begins with root (/). The two slashes further in the path make no difference as you said.

So I fixed it. The problem is that the link in Khelpcenter points to intro.html, while the title of the file 'index.cache' in inde.cache.bz2 was index.html. I extracted and edited the cache file, recompressed it, and copied it back to the location. Seems to all be working. Still a pain to try and run dolphin as root.
                    Best wishes,
                    Tom

Comment

Working...
                    X