X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

KDE telepathy no longer works with google talk after update

Hi,

After updating to Kubuntu 14.04 KDE telepathy no longer works with google talk accounts. Double clicking on a contact in the contact list (the window titled "KDE IM Contacts" results in a long delay after which a gray window shows up along with a message "Handler no longer available".

I've also had the chat window show up sometimes (when recieving messages), but the text field is unresponsive making it impossible to enter text.

I have this issue both on my laptop and desktop computers which were both upgraded from the previous kde version.

Google Talk is supported by the package telepathy-gabble. It appears that there was a minor version change between 13.10 and 14.04. But also: from what I've read here and there, Google continues tinkering with the protocol that Talk uses. It might be worth filing a bug against the Ubuntu package and letting them know that it isn't working now.

Press Alt+F2 to open KRunner. Type apport-bug telepathy-gabble. The system will collect some information then open a web browser to a page where you can describe your problem.

Comment

I just want to remind, that Google changed last year old GTalk with an open XMPP protocol to their Hangouts. These days third party clients do not work the same as before. They cannot get offline messages. Maybe there will be another changes.
      Last edited by josefko; May 17, 2014, 01:01 PM.
      Kubuntu 16.04 on two computers and Kubuntu 17.04 on DELL Latitude 13

Comment

I still get the problem mentioned in the bug. Cannot believe that this kind of a bug can continue unsolved for half a year. Do you guys still get it?

Comment

If Google isn't publishing the API for Hangouts, then there's very little hope that third party utilities will be able to interoperate with it.

Comment

what about, in chat (KDE IM or Telepathy), when one opens a new windows, it shows the last 20 messages with that person?

Comment

Originally posted by john1989 View Post
              what about, in chat (KDE IM or Telepathy), when one opens a new windows, it shows the last 20 messages with that person?
              what about it?
              is their no "history setting"?

VINNY
              i7 4core HT 8MB L3 2.9GHz
              16GB RAM
              Nvidia GTX 860M 4GB RAM 1152 cuda cores

Comment

telepathy should show the history of chat with a person (for example Facebook friend) by downloading from Facebook the last 20 messages with that friend. even if the person chatted in another PC on a browser. the same problem is in Skype chatting in Facebook account.

Comment

Probably facebook (google/yahoo/etc) probably has to allow access to that. They probably do not. Personally, I have not seen a third party yahoo client (yeah I still use that ) which can pull up any history, mobile or desktop. Mostly mobile, who does IM on a computer so much these days lol!

Comment

not your problem........it is all about the taiwaneese dollars.
                    sigpic
                    Love Thy Neighbor Baby!

Comment

what do u mean by taiwanese dollars?

Comment

Originally posted by john1989 View Post
                        what do u mean by taiwanese dollars?
                        he's into the rum and coconut juice right now ...........

but when he reads your question ,,,,,,,,, Muahaha you will get an eye full .................................................. .................................................. .

VINNY
                        i7 4core HT 8MB L3 2.9GHz
                        16GB RAM
                        Nvidia GTX 860M 4GB RAM 1152 cuda cores

Comment

wtf?

Comment

Working...
                          X