X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Can not log in

Hi,

This morning I installed Kubuntu 14.04. During install I selected the auto log-in feature, something I always have enabled.
    After the installation completed, I removed the USB disk and rebooted.
    Much to my surprise I saw a log-in screen where my username was already selected, being the only user so far.
    After typing my password, the log-in screen disappeared for a moment after which it returned asking again for a password.
    Again I typed it, screen disappeared and came back. Now I used another password which gave me the text: Wrong password. My password was known to the system, nevertheless I was not allowed to log in.
    I re-installed the OS and when the same happened again I returned to Mint 16 KDE, something which does work.

Who has any idea what this could have been? I would like to give it another try but only when I know what went wrong and how to avoid it from happening again.
    Last edited by Snowhog; Apr 20, 2014, 11:28 AM.

Mint KDE 16 *is* kubuntu 13.10, so I am thinking video problem of some sort.
    We can't really say what it could be exactly without more info, but what seems to be happening is that the login is actually Ok, but kde can't start for some reason, which could be a corrupted file somewhere, or something not allowing the video drivers to load, or along those lines.

if you try again, try a fresh download of the iso and check the md5sum. If you get the same problem logging on, try this:

hit ctrl-alt-f1 to switch to a terminal.
    Enter the command :
    Code:
    sudo service lightdm stop
    This will turn off the login manager
    Then type in the command:
    Code:
    startx
    (don't use sudo here!)
    it may log you in to KDE, but if it does not, it should give you error messages that might help out.

Comment

Thank you claydoh. Have downloaded the iso file again and did the md5 checksum check, it is okay.
      Also making a usb disk went fine, at least that is what the program told me.
      Will let you know once I know more.

Comment

Working...
      X